DVCPRO + MiniDV... Questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old April 14th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVCPRO + MiniDV... Questions

Long story short, I'm looking at a really good deal on a lightly used DVCPRO (25) camera. The problem is, the camera is a bit older and doesn't have a FireWire output. I don't have a DVCPRO deck, and if I have to add one to my setup the deal starts to look (much) less appealing.

This got me thinking... I know Panasonic makes an adapter that fits a MiniDV tape into a DVCPRO deck (AJ-CS455). Would it be possible to use this adapter and a MiniDV tape in the DVCPRO camera, and then play back the tape in a DVCAM or MiniDV deck?

Thanks in advance for any insight on this issue. :)
Eric Wotila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2006, 01:56 AM   #2
Inner Circle

save yourself the headache mate...

trust me... u dont need any more hassles for this kind of work, let alone trying to work out how your gonna get the footage to the PC to edit.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 12:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The local station I shoot for as a stringer is a DVCPro shop. All the edit bays can read MiniDV in the adapter, there is only one deck though that can write to minidv, and that is one in Master control. I would think if the decks can't write to the tape, then there is probably a really good chance the cam won't be able to either...
Old May 9th, 2006, 02:59 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Interesting idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Wotila
Long story short, I'm looking at a really good deal on a lightly used DVCPRO (25) camera. The problem is, the camera is a bit older and doesn't have a FireWire output. I don't have a DVCPRO deck, and if I have to add one to my setup the deal starts to look (much) less appealing.

This got me thinking... I know Panasonic makes an adapter that fits a MiniDV tape into a DVCPRO deck (AJ-CS455). Would it be possible to use this adapter and a MiniDV tape in the DVCPRO camera, and then play back the tape in a DVCAM or MiniDV deck?

Thanks in advance for any insight on this issue. :)
The question would be is the camcorder going to record your original in DVCPro format and if so, how will the signal be considering that DVCPro is inherently a metal particle format and mini DV tapes are exclusively metal evaporated. It's certainly something I'd be curious about experimenting with but I wouldn't do anything critical on it without extensive testing.

Craig

BS, Radio-TV-Film, University of Texas

http://www.pro-tape.com

Adobe - AJA - Apple - Avid - Audio Technica - Bogen - Canon - Denon - Digidesign - Fuji - Gitzo - JVC - Lowell - Marantz - Maxell - Panasonic - Primera - Rimage - Samson - Sennheiser - Sony - TDK - Varizoom - Waves - more!
Craig Berlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:45 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Forgot to reply... Whoops!

I ended up passing up on the DVCPRO camera, and picked up a JVC DV500 for about the same price. Excellent camera, and it records on MiniDV. :D
Eric Wotila is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line