Opinions on TDK Mini-DV tapes!? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old April 18th, 2006, 09:18 PM   #1
New Boot

Opinions on TDK Mini-DV tapes!?

As I ordered a Canon GL2 camcorder, I'm looking forward to buy Mini-DV tapes in bulk. The previous owner of the camera used Panasonic tapes. Due to the availability of the tapes in my area and my budget, I was considering opting for another brand.

I plan onto using the new brand, then using a cleaning cassette and then sticking with the new brand to avoid any inconvenience.

At a local COSTCO, TDK Mini-Dv tapes are $24,99 CND for 8 tapes, (can't remember the exact model), which is a steal!!

I was wondering if anybody had opinions of experience with those tapes!?

Thanks for your time!!!
Julien T. Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 09:36 PM   #2
DVi Contributor

You should. run a cleaning tape. However I don't think You would see any problems switching to another brand. My company has provided MiniDV cameras for rent since the format was invented and our customers have used a wide variety of suppliers. We have never had a problem that was directly tape based. You do have to clean these tape heads on a regular basis.
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 10:03 PM   #3
Wrangler

I have used TDK tapes in all three of my Canon XL cameras. Have never had a single problem. I do buy the better ones though and not the bargain basement price multipacks.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 03:17 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien T. Chartier
As I ordered a Canon GL2 camcorder, I'm looking forward to buy Mini-DV tapes in bulk. The previous owner of the camera used Panasonic tapes. Due to the availability of the tapes in my area and my budget, I was considering opting for another brand.

I plan onto using the new brand, then using a cleaning cassette and then sticking with the new brand to avoid any inconvenience.

At a local COSTCO, TDK Mini-Dv tapes are $24,99 CND for 8 tapes, (can't remember the exact model), which is a steal!!

Thanks for your time!!!
Although I use only the best grade of Sony DV tapes in my Sony camcorder, I've had nothing but excellent results from all sorts of TDK tapes, for the last 20 years. I use nothing else but TDK MP tapes for Hi-8/Digital8. In the past, I used their ME Hi-8 tapes and after as much as 17 years, they are all completely functional. Among all my friends, it's the number 1 most trusted brand of recording tape. I still put out a lot of distribution copies on VHS and TDK-EHG is the tape I always use. I would be very surprised if their DV tapes weren't among the best.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 03:15 PM   #5
New Boot

Great!!

Thanks for your input guys!!
Old April 20th, 2006, 07:25 AM   #6
New Boot

I've used TDK tapes because they were inexpensive (about the same price as those). I never had any problems with them, but I was using them on an inexpensive DV camcorder.

So, I'd try some and see if they work for you.
Dale Mellinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 01:25 PM   #7
Major Player

I use them on a regular basis in a bunch of different cameras and they're great - no worse than the panasonic tapes I've also used and they're much easier to find.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 03:04 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Mini DV tapes - Brands, Buys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien T. Chartier

Thanks for your time!!!
First of all, you'll find our prices lower than Costco or anyone else on mini DV tapes. If you choose TDK you'll pay about $2.24 each plus shipping which will be better than $24.99/8 plus tax.

As for the quality, many people have decided that it doesn't matter which brand you buy. Most of the tapes out there are made by Panasonic except for JVC, TDK and Sony. JVC's formulation is basically the same as Panasonic.

Then you are left to decide if you want to use a professional product in the interest of getting lower dropout and other enhancements such as a smoother running mechanism. Do you want to pay $17 for Sony's Digital Master? Probably not. But $3ish for a Panasonic Professional Quality or $4.50ish for the Panasonic Master is highly recommended. If you have a shoot that is particularly critical, the Master or Advanced Master (still under 8 bucks) is what we recommend.

Regards,

Craig

BS, Radio-TV-Film, University of Texas

http://www.pro-tape.com

Adobe - AJA - Apple - Avid - Audio Technica - Bogen - Canon - Denon - Digidesign - Fuji - Gitzo - JVC - Lowell - Marantz - Maxell - Panasonic - Primera - Rimage - Samson - Sennheiser - Sony - TDK - Varizoom - Waves - more!
Craig Berlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 03:07 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Yes, clean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Chartier
You should. run a cleaning tape. However I don't think You would see any problems switching to another brand. My company has provided MiniDV cameras for rent since the format was invented and our customers have used a wide variety of suppliers. We have never had a problem that was directly tape based. You do have to clean these tape heads on a regular basis.
Hello Craig -- nice to "see" you...

To the OP...always run a cleaning tape if you've been using other brands but particularly between TDK / Sony / everyone else (Panasonic, JVC, Maxell, Fuji). It's a simple better safe than sorry and while the lubricants problem has largely been resolved, we still hear an occasional story about problems from switching brands so save yourself the potential heartache.

Good luck!

Craig

Mini DV Tape from $1.95

Adobe - AJA - Apple - Avid - Audio Technica - Bogen - Canon - Denon - Digidesign - Fuji - Gitzo - JVC - Lowell - Marantz - Maxell - Panasonic - Primera - Rimage - Samson - Sennheiser - Sony - TDK - Varizoom - Waves - more!
Old May 9th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #10
Regular Crew

And for you price hounds...

Forgot to mention my shameless plug - if it's a bargain you're looking for we are carrying the JVC/Victor now starting at $1.95. Several customers have asked specifically for this and when we ran out, did not want standard JVC! Suprised the heck out of me.

Craig "Not Afraid to Shamelessly Plug but Soon to be Sponsor Again"

Old May 9th, 2006, 04:03 PM   #11
Trustee

I too used primarily TDK tapes with my GL2 for about a year. Never had a single problem with them.
Old May 9th, 2006, 04:19 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Overall, very few problems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter
I too used primarily TDK tapes with my GL2 for about a year. Never had a single problem with them.
Wow Ben, I know another Ben Winter here in Austin. Of course he's 10 years old so I guess that isn't you. I don't think he owns a GL2 : >

We have few complaints about TDK but we have few complaints about anything. Some of the techs we communicate with seem to have issues with Sony.

The good news is that the higher-quality tapes have come down in price so much that it doesn't cost that much to step up; although I also frequently say if it ain't broke, don't fix it. For me when I'm doing production it really gets down to a safety net when I'm shooting something critical.

Craig

Old May 11th, 2006, 09:33 AM   #13
New Boot

Great, thanks for the advices!!!

I'll stick with TDK tapes for now, I'll see how they work out and I'll go from there.

Thanks again!!
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:04 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Berlin
First of all, you'll find our prices lower than Costco or anyone else on mini DV tapes. If you choose TDK you'll pay about $2.24 each plus shipping which will be better than $24.99/8 plus tax.

snip

Regards,

Craig
Hi Craig,

I've been using the Costco TDK for a month or so now (about 16 tapes used) without problem or concern. Always looking for a better deal, though, of course.

However, I'm not sure I see that your TDK is cheaper, as you claim. I put 8 of them (to match the Costco pack) in my shopping cart at your site and added shipping to (California)--$17.92 + $9.80 shipping = $27.72. That's higher than the big box store price ($24.99 + 8.25% tax = $27.05).

Plus I see that your tape is the Asian packaging ("gray market"?) while Costco's is the USA packaging.

Comment?

--Darin

PS Please forgive me for mentioning a non-Sponsor--but the Sponsor refered to the store and I saw no other way to respond.
Darin Boville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:41 PM   #15
Regular Crew

TDK etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Boville
Hi Craig,

I've been using the Costco TDK for a month or so now (about 16 tapes used) without problem or concern. Always looking for a better deal, though, of course.

However, I'm not sure I see that your TDK is cheaper, as you claim. I put 8 of them (to match the Costco pack) in my shopping cart at your site and added shipping to (California)--$17.92 + $9.80 shipping = $27.72. That's higher than the big box store price ($24.99 + 8.25% tax = $27.05).

Plus I see that your tape is the Asian packaging ("gray market"?) while Costco's is the USA packaging.

Comment?

--Darin

PS Please forgive me for mentioning a non-Sponsor--but the Sponsor refered to the store and I saw no other way to respond.
No biggie Darin - I am not currently a sponsor though I have been in the past and as soon as Chris e-mails me back I will be again.

If you only 8 you may come out a few cents ahead but if you buy any more than that then the savings start to ad up. Personally I try to patronize small companies over large ones but that is of course up to you. I will guarantee you a lower delivered price if you buy at least 10.

In most brands we carry domestic, European and Asian product where applicable. TDK is one of the U.S. companies that absolutely refuses to give comparable pricing to smaller dealers. So whereas with Panasonic, Sony, JVC and others we carry both, we don't stock the domestic TDK because to us it's MUCH more expensive. I may go back to them and ask them for another price quote but every time I've tried I've gotten "no reply." Regardless, the tape is the same product and we stand behind what we sell regardless. If you have a problem we take care of it.

In fact in many cases the Asian consumer population is more critical than ours and we find customers who actually PREFER the "gray" product - most notably Victor (JVC) where we have actually had people thank us for carrying it and REFUSE to take regular JVC when we were out of stock of the Victor.

Stranger than fiction...

Craig Berlin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line