DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   Hi Def Tapes on SD Camcorder (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/66094-hi-def-tapes-sd-camcorder.html)

Dorothy Engleman April 27th, 2006 01:09 PM

Hi Def Tapes on SD Camcorder

Could I use my Canon SD camcorder to rewind HD tapes without any damage to tape or camcorder?

Dorothy

Stu Holmes April 27th, 2006 03:56 PM

For sure.
No reason why not - HD tapes are just MiniDv tapes.

Dorothy Engleman April 27th, 2006 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu Holmes
For sure.
No reason why not - HD tapes are just MiniDv tapes.

Thanks for your answer, Stu! :)

J. Stephen McDonald April 29th, 2006 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorothy Engleman
Could I use my Canon SD camcorder to rewind HD tapes without any damage to tape or camcorder?

Dorothy

Better yet, look for a tiny, battery-operated DV tape rewinder/fast-forwarder. My Sima SRW-62 was the best $42. investment I ever made. It can fit in a coat pocket and could go with me in my camera bag. I don't see it on their website at present, so another brand might have to do. It's important to get one with a tape sensor, that slows down just before hitting the end.

Dorothy Engleman April 30th, 2006 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J. Stephen McDonald
Better yet, look for a tiny, battery-operated DV tape rewinder/fast-forwarder.
My Sima SRW-62 was the best $42. investment I ever made. It can fit in a coat pocket and could go with me in my camera bag. I don't see it on their website at present, so another brand might have to do. It's important to get one with a tape sensor, that slows down just before hitting the end.

Hello Steve!

Thanks for your suggestion! A tape rewinder seems like low-cost insurance against head wear. I'll definitely purchase one, though B&H only sells the Power 2000 model, hopefully comparable to your Sima.

Dorothy

Stu Holmes April 30th, 2006 02:41 PM

The heads aren't wearing at all when you rewind the tape - the heads are withdrawn from the tape before you fast-forward and rewind.

Dorothy Engleman April 30th, 2006 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu Holmes
The heads aren't wearing at all when you rewind the tape - the heads are withdrawn from the tape before you fast-forward and rewind.

Stu, thanks for the reminder whilst my brain was missing in action!

What then are the benefits of a tape rewinder?

Dorothy

Dave F. Nelson April 30th, 2006 05:11 PM

The only advantages are:

1. You save wear and tear on your tape transport mechanism since you use the rewinder instead. Even if your heads are not incontact with the tape, the transport can still wear out.

2. You can rewind a tape while you are using your camcorder for something more important, like making the next great Indie.

--Dave

Dorothy Engleman April 30th, 2006 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Nelson
The only advantages are:

1. You save wear and tear on your tape transport mechanism since you use the rewinder instead. Even if your heads are not incontact with the tape, the transport can still wear out.

2. You can rewind a tape while you are using your camcorder for something more important, like making the next great Indie.

--Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your explanation! It's always important to keep our Muses amused!!

If you use a tape rewinder, which model do you have?

Dorothy

Dave F. Nelson April 30th, 2006 06:23 PM

I don't use a DV rewinder. I have a few old DV camcorders lying around with nothing to do anymore but collect dust so I use them to rewind tapes. I use a Hi8/Digital8 rewinder though, made by Audiovox.

Rewinders are simple devices that can be purchased at Best Buy, Circuit City, Wally World, Target, etc. They are available for VHS, Hi8, DVC, etc.

Nothing magic about them.

--Dave