Panasonic mDV PQ MQ AMQ 63m & 83m Confusion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old June 5th, 2006, 06:33 AM   #1
New Boot

Panasonic mDV PQ MQ AMQ 63m & 83m Confusion

Apparently, Panasonic are replacing MQ tapes with AMQ tapes. Their recent mailout promotion for AMQ was nearly identical to their previous MQ tape promo - so what is the real difference?

The MQ 83m tapes seem to be no longer available. What gives?

The MQ63 tapes are still available, how much longer?

The AMQ 83m tapes are not offered. Why not?

The PQ 83m tapes are still available... But would you commit one-take only shots to it?

Can anybody recommend m63 tapes run at LP speed for one-take only master shots?

Personal experience with Canon XL1s & GL1 cameras have revealed PQ tape suffering higher instances of AV zits (4-5/hr) as compared to MQ tapes (2-3/hr). Some camera reluctance occurs when switching between PQ & MQ tapes (higher instances of AV zits)... The behaviour improves if you run the head cleaner tape in between the tape type switchover.

Recent experience reveals AMQ tapes to perform slightly better than MQ, with average of 1-2 AV zits per hour.

AV zit definition Note:- 1-2 frame drop, 1-2 frame sync loss tearing, 1-2 frame audio mute, 1-2 frame audio birdie, etc...
Gregory Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 03:41 PM   #2
Inner Circle

huh?
zits?? try clearasil...

for info in these tapes, check out afew threads in the DVX forum, ive thrown up copious amounts of info pertaining to these units...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 06:12 PM   #3
Major Player

I use 83PQ exclusively for over a year with a new pd170 and have had one problem when the tape was played though an old dv deck.

When I tried the tape in the pd the problem was not there.

I trust the 83PQ completely.

I have to wonder why you have so many drop outs per hr.
Maybe it is the players and not the tapes?
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 11:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I've got an XL-1s and Xl-2. I've always used PQ 83's with no problem. In fact I bought some of the last MQ-83's my dealer was selling, and I had dropouts after the 1st minute of recording....go fiqure!
David Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 10:48 PM   #5
Trustee

Normally I stick with the Panasonic MQ 63M tapes for virtually all shooting. The tape is thicker and so less prone to stretching and dropouts. Plus, they are less expensive.

That said, I did use fifteen MQ 83m tapes on a conference shoot I once did. I don't recall having any problems with them.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line