Best A1 tapes and light at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old July 3rd, 2006, 07:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best A1 tapes and light

I am climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro and am bringing my A1 with me. I want to make sure I have tapes that can hold up to the weather, or are just generally goods tapes to use with the A1.

Any reccomendations?

Also, what would be a good hot shoe light to buy for the camera for night shots?

Any other suggestions of good accessories (stablization, mic, etc.) would be appreciated. This biggest issues with accessories is that I have to keep it on the light side, or it becomes to much of a hassle carrying up the mountain.

Thanks,

Jason
Jason Gurwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2006, 09:30 AM   #2
Major Player

Well, since you'll probably only be climbing Kilimanjaro once, you may as well use best tapes you can,. the Sony HDV ones like DVM63HD tapes. There's no resaon really why they'll be less susceptible to cold than others,. but they are intended to have a higher MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) than ordinary MiniDv tapes.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Bound to be windy so you need to do something to eliminate windnoise. Use an external mic with a windshield. you could just use the ext.mic that comes with A1, but DO buy a Rycote windshield for it or simialr. www.rycote.com and they have a product selector on the left.
I would carry the camera on a monopod and use that at all times. It will massively increase stability, is lightweight, very quickly deployable.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2006, 02:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'd worry about cold. The A1U is a fine camera, I just got one, but if I were climbing, I'd have a jacket around the whole camera, not just the mike.

I agree, if you're shooting HDV-- while my tests show DVCAM cassettes are working fine-- go with the finest available, the Digital Master stuff.

Then when you get home-- get everything the hell out of HDV!! Transfer it to HDCAM or DVCPro 100. Looks great. Keep the originals as backup.

Of course, yu could capture directly into Avid or FCP... but on slower machines it's a pain.

I like the Manfrotto monopods-- I own the cheapest. But look at this too, it's aimed toward outdoorspeople--

http://www.trek-tech.com/

- Loren
Loren Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line