BR-DV3000U and Rosetta Stone at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old August 22nd, 2006, 02:55 AM   #1
New Boot

BR-DV3000U and Rosetta Stone

I am quite new to NLE, and am having some difficulty deciphering what connections from the deck to the computer need to be made in order to use the RS422 protocol to control the deck. Can there be a firewire connection and also
a connection to the RS422 port on the deck for control (via Rosetta Stone)? From doing some research I have been led to the conclusion that doing batch capture does not work well over fire wire. Does their actually have to be an additional piece of hardware that is the controller, or is the cabling all that is needed? This would be in Xpress Pro.

jet
Jerrold Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 11:07 PM   #2
Trustee

Hi Jerrold. Have you actually encountered difficulties yourself doing batch capture through firewire? I've done this a few times on my deck without any problem.

I haven't tried out the RS422 control on my setup (because FW works OK for me) but I noticed that there is a menu setting in the deck for selecting RS422 control. This makes me infer that you can control through RS422 and capture through FW at the same time.

RS422 protocol is the same as RS232 which you can find on any PC, however the voltage levels are different. If your PC has a true RS232 interface it probably won't work well with an RS422 deck and you would need a level converter.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 01:35 AM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hunter
Hi Jerrold. Have you actually encountered difficulties yourself doing batch capture through firewire? I've done this a few times on my deck without any problem.
I have tried batch captures a couple of times, and they always failed. I tried
again the other day and it worked fine. I may have been having trouble due
to the timecode being messed up.

I have been reading "Avid Express Pro Editing Workshop" by Hullfish and Fowler. They mention a setting in Deck Preferences, 'DV Capture Offset & Digital Cut Offset Capture Offset (Frames)'---that you need to set when capturing over firewire but controlling with Direct Port (RS-422). This is used to correct any mismatch between actual timecode and the captured . So evidently it is indeed possible. Also, they advise against using fire wire for batch capture, saying this is a problem inherent in deck control with firewire.

Jerrold
Jerrold Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line