DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   Tapes- 3 Questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/74883-tapes-3-questions.html)

Alastair Brown September 5th, 2006 07:17 AM

Tapes - 3 Questions

I use Mini-DV. Do you

a) Re-use your tapes, if so how often.
b) Do you discard your tapes or pass/sell them on to the couple
c) Do you record in Long Play or Short Play

I only trust my tapes once, usually just hand them on to the couple and record in long play.

Peter Jefferson September 5th, 2006 07:24 AM

use Mini-DV. Do you
((yes))

((yes, sometimes.. now that im doing 60+ weddings a year, its not economical or physically possible to keep so much tape stock on hand. I only use taps a maximum of 3 times, and only after about 6 months upon delivery of the previous clients product (ie i sit on the tapes for 6 months before i use them again)

((option to sell to the couple is there, however i stripe the unrecorded portions with colour bars. In the real world though, i dont give out tapes unless they pay me 60bux a tape.. ))

((NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER in long play. If i have extended catholic ceremonies, i alwyas use 83 minute tapes))

Also with the tapes i use, i ONLY use Panasonic Pro grade MQ's, which are far more robust with a tighter tape emulsion.
With my system of using these tapes the way i do, on DVX 100 and Z1's, i am yet to experience a dignificant dropout

J. Stephen McDonald September 5th, 2006 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alastair Brown
I use Mini-DV. Do you

I only trust my tapes once, usually just hand them on to the couple and record in long play.

I learned long ago, to never re-use a camcorder tape. Not because it would necessarily break down from repeated passes, but because I want to preserve all my original raw recordings. There have been times, many years later, that I have been glad to have those tapes, because an unexpected demand for their contents has developed. They are very cheap, compared to the value of the unique events they show. An edited master tape may not contain everything you want from the original.

I don't turn over original camcorder tapes to clients, unless it is agreed beforehand to do so-----and I wouldn't do that often. I'd make a copy for the client if requested and that applies to edited masters, as well. I want to have access to everything I've produced.

I know it is standard advice, to not use the LP recording speed. However, I have used LP many times, to store backup duplicates of productions and for temporary recordings used for collecting and assembling bits of source material. I've played LP recordings from both Sony and JVC VCRs in each other and have had no incompatibilities or dropouts so far. The fact I use only the double-priced Sony Excellence tapes, may have helped in this. But, I shoot only in SP and if I edit on tape, it will always be in SP. Tape copies that go to other people from me are only in SP, as you never know how compatible an LP recording will be in someone else's equipment.

Eric Stemen September 7th, 2006 03:00 PM

I don't reuse my tapes, but i will rewide over parts(filming bmx tricks that take 10 or more attempts) and record over the messed up tricks.
I don't discard tapes because i don't film enough to need the space.
For weddings I have the main camcorders record sp and backup on LP

I back up stuff on dvd.