Torn Tape at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old October 19th, 2006, 01:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Torn Tape

A mini DV tape I recorded on got torn in the middle of the tape the other day. Is there any way of fixing it just enough so I can pull the data over to the computer and then send it back out to a new tape?
Alan James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 02:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Back in the days of audio tapes, if a tape snapped or some of it got chewed-up (fairly common especially with the thinner tapes) then you could buy a little "tape-splicing kit" which included some very thin sellotape that you applied to the BACK of the tape after having cut out the chewed-up section carefully.

I'd imagine it would be worth a go to try something like that - but i guess you have to accept there's a possibility that you might jam things up with your tiny piece of fixing tape.

If you do it carefully with a small piece of tape that is almost perfectly the width of the MiniDV tape itself, then i think it would work. If the tape ISN'T completely torn in half, i would just make a careful note of the timepoint at which the damaged tape occurs, and capture everything before that point, and then wind it to a point just after that point, and then capture everything from there to the end. Might be the least risky option.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line