Best tape stock for A1/G1 HDV Camcorders - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old December 28th, 2006, 08:48 PM   #46
New Boot

Panasonic AMQ is only $8.50 at TapeworksTexas. That is hardly $30. Maybe you should call them and see if they ship overseas. Maybe buy a v1U or A1 while you are at it.
Michael Bartolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 11:57 PM   #47
Major Player

Panasonic Professional AY-DVM60XJ

6.99$

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
Old December 30th, 2006, 02:08 AM   #48
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Y Wong
Panasonic Professional AY-DVM60XJ

6.99$

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
I've been using them too. Been working out great!
James Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 07:56 PM   #49
Regular Crew

I've been using the $3 Sony Premium DVM60PRL tapes in my GL2. My A1 is arriving in three days. Just making sure, these tapes should be fine for recording HDV?
Old January 8th, 2007, 09:49 PM   #50
New Boot

The conversation surrounding tape seems to focus on two issues; consistent quality, in terms of drop-out's, and the type of lubrication that the manufacturer employs. I was told, when I asked why I should purchase the much more expensive HD tapes, that the higher quality tapes are less susceptible to drop-out's. I was also told that there are two types of lubrication; a dry lubricant, and, I guess, a wet lubricant. I can't remember the details, but because of the conversation I made a similar decision to stick with one brand of tape. I have been using the less expensive tapes and have encountered no problems. Actually, I can't recall ever having an issue with drop-out with the less expensive tapes anyway. It would be nice to hear the lubricant issue discussed by an expert, however.

And, of course, you do not have to use special 'HD' tapes in the A1 to record HD.
Larry Rodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 04:52 AM   #51
Major Player

I'm not even sure that there's still that issue regarding the "dry/wet" scenario. I've heard & read that isn't an issue anymore since a few years ago & Sony had "converted" to using a dry lubricant because of all the riffraff... since they were, in other words, the "black sheep" of the family & were the only tape manufacturer using the wet process. But... unless I hear it from the horses... or in this case... the sheep's mouth... I won't believe anything.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 11:43 AM   #52
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby
I'm not even sure that there's still that issue regarding the "dry/wet" scenario. I've heard & read that isn't an issue anymore since a few years ago & Sony had "converted" to using a dry lubricant because of all the riffraff... since they were, in other words, the "black sheep" of the family & were the only tape manufacturer using the wet process. But... unless I hear it from the horses... or in this case... the sheep's mouth... I won't believe anything.

Bill
While I mainly used the Sony Premiums on the GL2, I used a good number of TDK's and a few Fujufilm tapes when I needed them that day and couldn't find anything else. I've never had any problems with the camera or dropouts. I myself am wondering if this "stick with one brand" thing is just something that was maybe a problem years ago, but now everyone keeps repeating it because it's something they were told when they got their first minidv camera.
Old January 10th, 2007, 05:00 AM   #53
Major Player

I think the biggest issue was mixing Sony and others. Certainly in the old days Sony (wet), Panasonic (dry) and TDK (dry) were the only people who made dv tape, with others mostly rebranding Panasonic.

It's possible that Fuji and Maxell make their own miniDV tape, now.

And the tape that came with the A1 looks like a Sony tape.
Old January 12th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #54
Regular Crew

So, after reading all those threds I still have no idea of what type and brand to use with my new XH A1.

I should appreciate if someone have no drops outs or any artifacts in their recordings just to stick with one brand and type of tapes.

Happy recordings.
Ignacio

Last edited by Ignacio Artiñano; January 13th, 2007 at 01:58 PM.
Ignacio Artiñano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 12:25 AM   #55
Regular Crew

Maxell stock?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Leith
It's possible that Fuji and Maxell make their own miniDV tape, now.
Speaking of Maxell. I was looking around online for what would be the most cost effective HDV tape to use. $25 could easily become a little over the top for most people (like some of the Canon and Sony tapes) and although $10 is fairly reasonable, if you can get the same manufactured tape but with a different label for less, why not?

I'm not sure if anyone has been using this, but the stock is made by Maxell and is quite affordable (at under $5 a pop.) "303140 DVM63PRO" One website writes this:

With DVPRO tape for HDV and DV high output is also achieved together with a superior binder that ensures long-term reliability and excellent lubricating performance, which even after repeated use maintains a low error rate. Also, Maxells dry lubricant not only helps to prevent headwear (-4m after 500H), but also prevents head clogs and significantly extends head life.

I checked around at other sites, and B&H lists item number 303140 a little different. The site mentions nothing about HDV usage, and even calls the Maxell tape the "JVC M-DV63PRO Mini DV Video Cassette."

Any idea what this is about and whether this stock is designed with HDV video recording in mind?? Please share. Thanks!
Brian Spatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #56
Major Player

Maxell and Fuji have been making their own tape for decades now.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #57
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Aldersley
So is that the general consensus, don't even use one "off" brand? I can't justify spending + £14 per tape to myself nevermind my clients . I'm going to have to order me some mid-range tapes and stick to them then... *sigh*

Panasonic AMQ you say? Does anyone else have a suggestion?
From 1996 onward I used both Sony and Panasonic tapes interchangeably in my VX-1000 with absolutely no problems. So far my Sony HVR-A1U has been happy with both brands of tape, too.

Best wishes,
Peter
http://www.parkfilms.com
Peter Rhalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 12:25 PM   #58
Regular Crew

Panasonic Master Quality

I just ordered 10 (quantity discount) Panasonic AY-DVM63MQ Master Quality Mini DV tapes off of B&H. At 4.39 a piece, very reasonable for "Master Quality."

Wish me luck, and I'll keep you all posted on how the tapes work out after I shoot with a few of them.
Brian Spatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 09:45 AM   #59
Inner Circle

switching tape brand

I've been using the Canon tape, supplied with the A1, all through my testing; I'd like to switch to Sony tapes in the future as I've had quite a good experience with them, and they're easier to buy. Should I take any special measures before, such as running a cleaning tape (which - Canon's or Sony one)?
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 10:38 AM   #60
Major Player

You shouldn't need to, after shooting just that 1 tape. I use the Sony tapes too, generally they are very good, but not perfect.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line