DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   Best tape stock for A1/G1 HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/77955-best-tape-stock-a1-g1-hdv-camcorders.html)

Rick Mickler October 21st, 2006 05:04 PM

Best tape stock for A1/G1 HDV Camcorders

What is th best tape to use?

Thoughts on this new Sony tape? http://bssc.sel.sony.com/DigitalMaster/product.htm

Paul Matwiy October 24th, 2006 10:26 AM

Best Tape for HDV

I've had good luck with Panasonic DV tapes over the past few years in my GL2 and XL2. I plan on using their DVCAM/HDV tape part #AY-DVM63AMQ

Ross Jones October 24th, 2006 12:14 PM

Elsewhere on these boards you'll find a whole slew of comments on various tape types. For what it's worth, I found problems using Sony tape with my VX2100. After it had been repaired, the Repair Centre actually recommended Panasonic tape rather than Sony... I now use only Pana, and have had no further problems..
Rgds, Ross.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nick Weeks October 24th, 2006 02:54 PM

I used Sony Excellence on my VX2100 and XL1s... had a few dropouts here and there, but pretty sparse. I had planned to stick with them, but recently been pondering switching to Panasonic because everyone on these boards seems to have very good luck with them.

I'm new to HDV and all, and I'm guessing the regular Mini DV tapes I've always used (i.e. Sony Excellence) will handle HDV? ...or do I need to get a tape specifically made for HDV?

Robert Sanders October 24th, 2006 04:04 PM

I recently shot a large project (over 20 tapes) using DVCAM (mini) PDV64N pro tapes and had great results.

I did, however, have dropouts using Fuji tape.

Jack Jenkins October 24th, 2006 05:25 PM

I recently shot a project using a GL-1 with 30+ hours all on SONY mini-DV tapes (consumer version, the ones you can get at TARGET etc., premium I believe) and had NO drop-outs. I subscribe to "the pick a brand and stick to it" theory on the mini-dv stuff.

Rick Mickler October 24th, 2006 07:53 PM

now were talkin

I like the idea of a high end tape like the Panasonic AY-DVM63MQ for $5.00 per tape. Sony has come out with a "new" HDV tape PHDVM63DM for $15.75 per tape. Is it just marketing by Sony or will our end product benefit?

Bill Pryor October 24th, 2006 08:06 PM

I'd say at that price you'd be paying for the nicer label and marketing costs. I'm in favor of using quality tape, but 3 times the price of the good Panasonic stuff is a bit ridiculous, especially when most everybody is using the Panasonic tape with little or no problem.

Chris Barcellos October 24th, 2006 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Weeks
I used Sony Excellence on my VX2100 and XL1s... had a few dropouts here and there, but pretty sparse. I had planned to stick with them, but recently been pondering switching to Panasonic because everyone on these boards seems to have very good luck with them.

I'm new to HDV and all, and I'm guessing the regular Mini DV tapes I've always used (i.e. Sony Excellence) will handle HDV? ...or do I need to get a tape specifically made for HDV?

I ve used TDK and Panosonic in my FX1 and have no problems to report.

Daniel Boswell October 24th, 2006 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
I ve used TDK and Panosonic in my FX1 and have no problems to report.

i second the Pannys. I do NOT use the Sony HDV tapes because they are too expensive and have actually given me more problems than the supposedly inferior ones have.

Cody Lucido October 25th, 2006 08:16 AM

Panasonic AY-DVM63AMQ Mini DV / HDV Tape

Has anybody tried the "Panasonic AY-DVM63AMQ Mini DV / HDV Tape"? Very close to the tape mentioned above excpt for the 'A' near the end.

They run about $7.45 and seem to be a good choice for my DV/HDV studio set up with my (soon to arrive) Canon A1.

Paul Matwiy October 25th, 2006 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cody Lucido
Has anybody tried the "Panasonic AY-DVM63AMQ Mini DV / HDV Tape"? Very close to the tape mentioned above except for the 'A' near the end.

The "A" indicates a mastering quality tape. Generally in the tape world, this means the same formula but a better polish on the tape for improved head contact and fewer dropouts.

Cody Lucido October 26th, 2006 07:42 AM

Thanks Paul! I think this will be the tape for me.

Rick Mickler November 2nd, 2006 09:51 PM

5 Free tapes for new HDV owners

Found this promotion for new HDV owners . Sony wants to give you 5 digital master HDV tapes.

[url]https://www.hi5mer.com/merlin/sonyhi5?command=get&style=home]

Dan Keaton November 3rd, 2006 08:40 AM

Here are some of the details for the Sony 5 Free Tapes promotion:

SONY PRO MEDIA
DIGITALMASTER TAPE HI5 PROMOTION
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Receive five (5) Sony DigitalMaster tapes by mail following the purchase of a
Sony HVR-Z1U, HVR-A1U, HVR-V1, Canon XL-H1, XH-G1, XH-A1, or JVC
GY-HD100U, GY-HD200U, GY-HD250U Professional HDV Camcorder. Offer
valid on purchases of eligible products from August 1, 2006 through March 31,