DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   Cleaning Tape Heads How To? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/80502-cleaning-tape-heads-how.html)

Kyle Prohaska November 27th, 2006 06:24 PM

Cleaning Tape Heads How To?

Owning a few cameras I feel very dumb asking this but how do I clean camera heads? I have an XL2 and made sure I bought a tape to clean the heads on it when I needed to but one thing I never looked into is how to actually do it. I know I put the tape in but is there a special thing I have to do to clean the heads? Sorry for this Ultimate n00b question but its something I need answered. Can anyone be of some assisstance?

-Kyle

Leo Pepingco November 27th, 2006 07:05 PM

Its really simple, and its good people are not afraid to ask... there are no stupid people, no stupid questions, and not even stupid answers... just annoying lawyers.

Anyways
1) Put tape in
2) Press play/record
3) Run for no more than 10 seconds.
4) Use before you put in a different brand of tape, every few months if you use it frequently, or before you take it out if you havent used it in a while.
5) NEVER mix wet or dry tapes. (Sony sells wet tapes, JVC, Panasonic, TDK sell dry tapes.) Its basically the kind of lubrication the tapes use.

The reason you dont run the cleaner for more than 10 seconds is that the cleaner is abrasive, and will damage your heads if you leave it in too long. 10 seconds is enough for the cleaner to wipe off the gunk the heads have accumilated.

Hope this helps

Wade Hanchey December 16th, 2006 08:57 PM

I want to be perfectly clear on how to do this also so I have a question. Your step 2 (Press play/record) means what? Can I clean in playback mode by pressing play just as well as record mode by pressing record? I ask this because my Sony cleaning tape instructions say this too but then in the precautions it says "do not use this cassette for recording". Are they suggesting that someone might try to record something on the cleaning tape or are they saying not to use it in record mode for cleaning?

Mike Teutsch December 16th, 2006 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wade Hanchey
I want to be perfectly clear on how to do this also so I have a question. Your step 2 (Press play/record) means what? Can I clean in playback mode by pressing play just as well as record mode by pressing record? I ask this because my Sony cleaning tape instructions say this too but then in the precautions it says "do not use this cassette for recording". Are they suggesting that someone might try to record something on the cleaning tape or are they saying not to use it in record mode for cleaning?

If you can hit record and it works fine otherwise hit play, but what they are telling you that it will not work to record footage. I know it seems obvious but in todays society, you can't make assumptions like this.

Mike

Wade Hanchey December 16th, 2006 10:36 PM

Thanks Mike.

Craig Chartier December 22nd, 2006 10:31 AM

While a cleaning tape is good. it is also a good practice to send the camera in for a better cleaning by the manufacturer. The canon XL club is perfect for you. We send our cams in twice a year. they do a much better job at it then the cleaning tape. and they also check several other features of the camera while it is there. Well worth the 80.00

Mike Teutsch December 22nd, 2006 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Chartier
While a cleaning tape is good. it is also a good practice to send the camera in for a better cleaning by the manufacturer. The canon XL club is perfect for you. We send our cams in twice a year. they do a much better job at it then the cleaning tape. and they also check several other features of the camera while it is there. Well worth the 80.00

With shipping, insurance and packaging what is your total expense for sending them in for cleaning.

Thanks in advance------Mike