DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   Memorex Blanks--Ugh! What kind of Taiyo? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/80693-memorex-blanks-ugh-what-kind-taiyo.html)

Dale Nicholson November 30th, 2006 02:33 PM

Memorex Blanks--Ugh! What kind of Taiyo?

I just authored a dvd using Architect 3 (and Vegas). I used Memorex DVD+R 16x blanks and made the dvd at 4.0 speed. The completed dvd played fine in three different dvd players!

Last night I played it in my progressive scan (good) player for the first time, the Panasonic XP-30, and to my surprise and horror, there were several instances of what I will call digital breakup---very small rectangular boxes would momentarily pixelate on the image and then go away. A few times the audio would seem to get stuck for a second or two. Mind you, this didn't happen often or for long, but it was an annoyance--enough to cause the other viewers in my room to question it.

Here's the thing: I would rewind the disc to replay the problem area, and it would be okay. Some other part of the scene would have the problem. I even tried disabling Progressive Scan output, but to no avail.

Using Nero 4.7 speed utility software and running a Disc Quality test of my authored disc in question (a Memorex DVD+R) at the speed I originally burned it, I got the following results:

PI Errors average=647.2, total=9385279
PI Failures average=18.55 total=650181
Quality Score=0

The Scan Disc test was okay.

Is a Quality Score of zero even possible?

I had thought that the ideal was a score of 90 or higher. Can these results be accurate? Can a Memorex brand be that lousy or am I reading these results wrong? I even ran the test twice and still am getting a score of zero.

I plan on buying Taiyo Yuden? Can anyone vouch for Rima or Supermediastore.com. Didn't someone post that they were given fakes at Supermediastore? Are the shiny silver Yudens and inkjet white the same quality?

Emre Safak November 30th, 2006 04:11 PM

A zero score means there is a catastrophic (unrecoverable) error. Most unusual for a new disc of reasonable quality. Even Memorex should not be that bad. I would try running the test on a different machine (drive).

Dale Nicholson November 30th, 2006 05:07 PM

I've tried the test twice with the same results; I will try it again. Oh, what about the other questions? I need archival, best quality dvd blanks. Some of the posts about getting "fake" Yudens is alarming. Is Supermediastore or Rima okay? What Uden blank is superior--"shiny silver?"

--Dale

Benjamin Hill November 30th, 2006 05:25 PM

Dale, I have a friend in the duplication business who only uses Taiyo Yuden media, so that's what I buy. Supermediastore is OK, I've bought from there several times without problem. Meritline is a pretty safe bet as well.

Emre Safak November 30th, 2006 05:55 PM

I get my TYs from newegg. If I am in a pinch I get Verbatims from BestBuy. Some Sonys are also repackaged TYs; look for the Made in Japan label.

Dale Nicholson December 1st, 2006 09:58 AM

Thanks. Does it matter which TY's, specifically, to get? I have to get DVD+Rs.

--Dale

Emre Safak December 1st, 2006 10:38 AM

Sorry, I don't know.