Universal HDV? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old December 7th, 2006, 11:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Universal HDV?

A real basic question but are hdv/mini dv tapes universal? or rather is the hdv format universal - no pal/ntsc problems?

My situation is I'm going to the USA next week and hiring a Z1. if i take tapes with me or buy hdv tapes out there and film, am i going to have any compatabilty problems back in the UK?

thanks

neil
Neil Corbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 01:03 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Well, the UK is on a PAL system...not NTSC.

Some camcorder makers also would suggest a higher grade (or shorter length) miniDVD's for better quality.

But a miniDVD is a miniDVD, as far as standard cassette size and tape size is concerned. I'm pretty sure.

BUT - I've read on this forum that if you tape using a Sony camera it won't play back on a JVC or Cannon, etc.
So you'd have to play back your tape from whatever system you shot it with.

I do believe.
Barry Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 02:28 PM   #3
Major Player

What matters is what format is recorded to the tapes, the Z1 can switch to PAL, which means it records PAL. If your delivery is PAL, you should shoot PAL.

You should be able to play back your miniDV tapes on a PAL 1080i HDV deck no problem, regardless of where the tapes were bought.

The tapes are just a medium for data storage, and if you write PAL format to it, that's what it is.

Anyone correct me if I am wrong.

Phil
Phillip Palacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 03:04 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Maybe I'm not explaining myself correctly but I want to shoot hdv in america. Is hdv in america the same as hdv here? or is there hdv pal and hdv ntsc?

thanks
Neil Corbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 08:55 AM   #5
Regular Crew

On the tape side: DV or HDV tapes are the same for PAL or for NTSC. For the same announced time of duration, the real duration is globally the same (less than 4 seconds of difference per hour between PAL and NTSC).

On the camera side: if you plan to hire a Sony Z1, you can switch to the HDV-1080i/50 even on a US model; doing so, you will be able to record exactly the same HDV/50 flow than with a HDV/50 camera bought or hired in a PAL land...
if you don't change the recording format, you will have problem to read the tapes back to England because, yes, HDV-1080i/60 (NTSC lands) differs from HDV-1080i/50 (PAL lands).

So, be sure that a Z1 will be available for hiring at the time and place you have planned to be: for the moment, only this HDV model owns the option to choice the recording format (1080i/50 or 60).

Last edited by Bruno Donnet; December 8th, 2006 at 10:36 AM.
Bruno Donnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 09:34 AM   #6
Regular Crew

thanks

thanks bruno, that cleared everything up. that saves me from taking tapes to america. i'll buy them out there and just change the z1 i hire out there to hdv pal.

thanks

neil.
Neil Corbett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line