Analog conversion using Canopus - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old January 16th, 2007, 09:25 AM   #16
Major Player

Got a similar question.

I have copied form hi-8 to mini dv and captured and have both the crawl at the bottom and a black border on the left side of the frame. I get the same results when going thru an Ads Pyro AVlink.

I havent tried another hi-8 camcorder as the feed deck yet(it's in the hands of a friend at the moment) but the tape is being played back on the VX3 that taped it.

is this standard for analog to DV conversion or is something else amiss?
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 09:53 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mecca
is this standard for analog to DV conversion or is something else amiss?
It's standard.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 10:30 AM   #18
Major Player

Thanks John,

At work I have a Laird Dvora that I used with SVHS before we went digital, and I remember the crawl on the bottom of the screen, but not the black bar on the left.

Unfortunately since our pro SVHS deck died and was replaced with a consumer model I cannot get the Dvora to recognize it, so I just dump to mini DV first, added benefit is it gives me TC.

My personal system is also Avid, but still using my VX3.
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #19
New Boot

Re : analog capture of Video8 tapes

Hello again:

Just want to thank all who suggested I use a Sony Digital8 camcorder to convert my old Video8 tapes -- using a borrowed Digital8 camcorder attached via Firewire/i-link to my HC1 the process was smooth with excellent results - no flicker - no nothing really except a perfect digital version of the original Video8 recording! With canopus conversion you could not achieve this plus I now have new DV tapes as digital backup and can import to PC the material I will want to use. Now a new problem though -- import in AVI format downgrades the original yes?? Can "native DV" editing be done -- and what format is "native" for a DV anyway??

Best,

- Are
Are Knudsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 09:52 PM   #20
Major Player

It sounds like you made a digital copy from the original HI-8 material. So now just treat what you do as if it's a digital original. How do you normally proceed when you work with mini-dv camera tapes?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line