Is the Canopus ADVC-300 the best for analog to DV conversion? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old April 5th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #16
Trustee

I put this in the wrong thread yesterday by accident.
I am pasting it here where it belongs:

“The box arrived yesterday and I wasn’t too impressed at first, because I couldn’t figure out how to use it properly and once I finally got it to work, the footage looked average. I immediately started having a lot of second thoughts about rather I made a good decision getting a converter for 400 instead of 200 dollars knowing that I have a college loan to pay off. After about 15 minutes I noticed that the picture quality wasn’t that bad and by fouling around with the adjustments, it got to be much better. By the time I viewed outside footage from the Azores, my second thoughts started to vanish because it looked very good for an analog camcorder. I haven’t seen this footage for many years and its refreshing viewing it again.

For anyone who is considering a converter box, I highly recommend this. The software is very easy to use and the preview window can take up your entire screen if you like. The box even comes with a component adapter so that you can hook it up to a TV while you’re adjusting the picture on the computer. Since there are a lot of places selling the same box for 550 dollars, you should make sure that you get it from B&H if you’d much rather spend 400 for it. They also probably have the newest units because the year in my instructions manual says 2006. Buying it elsewhere, you may get a unit from 2004.

Now I have a question. Do I have to put the Line Time Base Corrector on and if so, where would I do that? Or is it on automatically. I couldn’t find it in the instructions manual.”
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #17
Trustee

This may be common knowledge to a lot of you but if you were to ever get this box make sure you have it hooked up to a TV at the same time because I noticed some of the tweaking that I done on my computer looked better on the RGB LCD monitor but when I view it on a tube TV the picture looked a little worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post
I
Now I have a question. Do I have to put the Line Time Base Corrector on and if so, where would I do that? Or is it on automatically. I couldn’t find it in the instructions manual.
Is there anyone that can answer this? On all of the tapes that I watched, one of them has a line in the middle of the picture.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 07:54 PM   #18
Major Player

I recently bought this unit and am now archiving my old Hi-8 tapes. So far I have mainly just used the out of the box settings. I played with color correction and sharpening, but am concerned that I might make it worse, so figure it's best just to use it to get the material to computer and then edit in my NLE- Vegas. If anyone has any suggestions on other useful settings/techniques, please let me know. I've got about 80 tapes stretching back over 15 years, so it will be a while before I archive them all. Thanks.
Ruth Happel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line