DV tapes unusable after DVCam record at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old April 27th, 2003, 10:29 AM   #1
New Boot

DV tapes unusable after DVCam record

I used to have a Sony PD1 DVCam camera. Now I have bought the Canon GL2/MX2 which is a standard DV format.
If I use one of the previous DVCam tapes to record the sound is off-sync and very slow (appr 30% too slow) when I capture the tape on my PC..
Wjat can I do to "re-format" the tapes ?
Thanks
Peter Dorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2003, 10:40 AM   #2
Warden

DVCam has a faster tape to head speed. That is why they only record 40 minutes to a 60 minute mini DV tape. You will need to borrow, rent etc. a DVCam camera or deck and record the signal to your MX2 for future use.

Some people have slowed the sound down with software, in post, with mixed success.. The pitch is usually off slightly and a lot of time is wasted getting sync to match.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2003, 11:00 AM   #3
New Boot

Hi Jeff,
You're an active person :-)
I do not need the footage anymore, I just want to re-use the tapes but cannot use them on my new Canon without this problem. Also with new footage.
Peter Dorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2003, 11:37 AM   #4
Warden

That's odd, have you tried using a bulk eraser to erase the tape? The consumer ones generally aren't powerful enough with the new tape formulations. A TV station might run them through a commercial bulk eraser if you ask nice.

It's strange, I would think recording the DV format over the DVCam format would fix things.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2003, 09:18 AM   #5
Trustee

What about "erasing" the tape by just recording a blank wall for 60 minutes and then trying again? Maybe that first time around there'd be a problem but after that'd maybe it'd be ok.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2003, 10:03 AM   #6
Capt. Quirk

Have you tried using new tapes? They're fairly cheap, so buy a few, and see what happens.
K. Forman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line