Leaving Camera in my car at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old April 27th, 2007, 05:47 PM   #1
New Boot

Leaving Camera in my car

I leave my camera in my car just in case something awesome goes on but I'm worried about the heat messing with my tapes, or more importantly, the head on my GL2.

Should I be worried? Here in Reno, the temps get to about 95 degrees in the summer.
Kevin Laster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 06:14 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Kevin,

Hate to tell you, but inside your car it will be much much hotter than 95, even with your windows partly open. Try 120 to 130+.

You do need to protect that Cam. How is the problem.

Consider putting the Cam into a "Cooler", setting it out of the sun (like down behind a seat), and maybe covered by some reflective material or a blanket. Try it out, using a thermometer, to see if it will keep the inside the cooler temps under 90, before leaving your Cam in it.

Also, cover all your windows with those reflective window coverings, they really help. A bit of time to set up (1-3 mins), but well worth it.

Harold

Last edited by Harold Schreiber; April 27th, 2007 at 09:12 PM.
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 08:58 PM   #3
Inner Circle

You could try using a large insulated cooler box or ice chest ( in Australia they are caled Eskys ) big enough to contain a floor layer of house bricks and your camera on top.

Don't put ice in of course. The bricks, (or a sealed bag full of pebbles or sand or pieces of scrap metal or thermic packs of rice or wheat used for bad backs, - doesn't matter) will average out the temperature spikes.

Trouble is, unless it goes in the trunk out of sight, somebody may think you have an ice box full of booze, break into your car and thug it.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 10:30 AM   #4
Major Player

I wouldn't recommend leaving a GL2 in your car. If anything, buy a cheap 1-chip to leave in there, also following the other care advice in this thread.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 08:37 AM   #5
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
I think Chris is right. The best rule of thumb is to NEVER leave the camera in the car. Having said that, I think there are some obvious exceptions, stopping into the local mini-mart for a bottle of water for example.

I always load my cameras last, right before I leave on a shoot. Mine are in foam lined cases that provide a good amount of insulation. I've checked the cases in my car, in the summer, here in the sunny south, and after an hour, (car temps around 130 degrees) the case still feels cool to the touch inside. For that reason alone, I MIGHT leave my cameras in the car over a lunch break. However, I NEVER leave my tapes. They go inside with me everywhere, until I get back from the shoot.

But that's just me.

I like the tag I've seen used here...your mileage may vary...

Mark
Mark Holland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line