Tapeless recording... anyone doing it?? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > MCE QuickStream DV

MCE QuickStream DV
Specifically for the QuickStream DV Portable Hard Disk Recorder.

Old March 4th, 2004, 08:41 PM   #16
New Boot

mounting option

In case the hot shoe has to be occupied by a light or microphone MCE provides you with a belt clip attachment as a standard option.
(866) 298-5700
Old March 4th, 2004, 08:44 PM   #17
DVX User

It also fits perfectly and snuggly in the hand grip strap, provided your hand isnt in there :)
Old March 4th, 2004, 09:01 PM   #18
New Boot

Available for DVX100

Keep in mind the QuickStream DV is not camera specific. It captures DV video from any digital video source that can provide DV data over a FireWire port. The QuickStream DV can connect to cameras or DV VTR Decks. Basically it recognizes a DV signal and then captures the data to its built in hard drive as a DV file. It is programmable to record in Raw .DV, .AVI2, Canopus .AVI2, and .MOV. With a tape in the camera it also captures timecode information as well.
(866) 298-5700
Old March 4th, 2004, 10:22 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Shining Technology

Has anyone tested or tried the CitiDisk Pro from Shining Technology? I think its about $200-$300 less than the QuickStream.

I love this technology and can't wait to buy a couple of these.

MR
Old March 4th, 2004, 10:28 PM   #20
DVX User

pro isnt available as far as i know.. just the regular citidisk. And it is very similar to the quickstream.. very very very similar :)
Old March 5th, 2004, 03:35 AM   #21
Contributor

No, I just ordered a 15" imac four days ago after not getting any response to my posts. The ibook is the first step in my building an alternative to the Firestore. If I had known about the MCE Quickstream I would not have started going in this direction.

I’ve ordered the Quickstream as well now. I’ll see if I can sell the ibook, or maybe it’s fate, and I’ll need it in the near future.

Everything is cool.... I hope.

Thanks for asking.

Frankenstein meets XL1
Old March 5th, 2004, 04:37 AM   #22
Trustee

Well, the Quickstream does indeed look very very awesome. Has anyone used it with a GL2/XM2? I assume the DV control works fine and you don't need a tape in? What about timecode, does that get put on the footage?

Thanks
Aaron
Old March 5th, 2004, 07:51 AM   #23
Inner Circle

apparently with the DVX, if u want to go totally tape free, u have to hit the record button on teh HD itself, which really isnt so bad as your not touching the cam...
Old March 5th, 2004, 10:15 AM   #24
DVX User

your right peter... you cant record tape free on the DVX without manually pressing the quickstream record button.
Old March 5th, 2004, 10:49 PM   #25
New Boot

1394 AV Signal

The QuickStream DV can be controlled externally via the FireWire connection. All cameras send out the 1394AV signal. This signal is generated when you start and stop the tape mechanism. The Record button is made specifically to start and stop the tape mechanism. However, the QuickStream DV responds to the 1394AV signal and starts and stops accordingly. However, a tape must be present in order for the record button to function. If you hit it without a tape it will just prompt you to insert a tape and does not send out the signal. Every time you start and stop the tape a clip is created that corresponds on the drive. For longer recording you can leave a tape out and record up to 6 hours on the largest capacity QuickStream DV.

Time code exists for linear editing. Meaning it creates SMTE time code in order to reference data on the tape, allowing you to edit down to frames per second in an assemble, or insert editing modes.

Again, with a tape in the camera Time Code is generated for tracking data on the tape. If there is not a tape in the camera Time Code is not generated. The camera is standby mode as far as it is concerned and TimeCode is not generated without a tape.

There are only 2 cameras that I know of that accept external DV control signals. They are the Canon GL2, and the XL1S. This was created so one camera can be connected to another for editing purposes, according to the manual. This function can be turned off via the menu under DV control.
(866) 298-5700
Old March 5th, 2004, 11:06 PM   #26
DVX User

funny you didnt mention the extensive DV controls the DVX100 has..

along with the good old canon controls, You can set the DVX to send an external DV record singnal to record as soon as the tape is full.. for continuous recording.
Old March 6th, 2004, 12:36 AM   #27
New Boot

DV control

I was actually reffering to the ability to control the camera externally via FireWire meaning it can accept signals from external devices to control its internal functions. I am not as familiar with the DVX100 cameras and am willing to hear of its functions.
(866) 298-5700
Old March 6th, 2004, 12:41 AM   #28
DVX User

almost every DV camera made now adays has ii394 device control.. its part of the spec. meaning you can send ff/ww/ play stop record etc. signals to the camera through the firewire port only.. Dont know if thats what you are refering too?

Anyways, the Quickstream not only records the Timecode from the camera, it records the entire Data track, in case you need that info for refering to exposure etc. after the day.
Old March 6th, 2004, 01:21 AM   #29
New Boot

Device control

Actually I already referred to the standard 1394AV signal in my previous post which you are referring to.

I am refferring to a specialized function that is only on the GL2 and the XL1S. This particular function allows one camera to actually control the other one. This means you are actually controlling 2 cameras that are connected with one remote to edit in a linear fashion via firewire. The camera in VCR mode is actually sending out a signal controlling a second camera which is not a function of the standard 1394AV signal.

Does the DVX100 have this capability? I am not as well versed on its functions.
(866) 298-5700
Old March 6th, 2004, 01:36 AM   #30
DVX User

Are you talking about DV control...? meaning the options that when you press the rec/play button on the camera or on the remote it sends the a signal over firewire to another device (i.e the quickstream) to record etc.?

If so, all recent cameras do that, and with the DVX100 you have multiple configurations on how to set it unlike the Gl2...

you lost me on the whole edit thing.. in camera editing is really lame but I guess someone could do it if they had to. Good for making dubs though.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > MCE QuickStream DV