DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Micro / POV Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/)
-   -   POV Hunting (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/404073-pov-hunting.html)

James J. Lee September 16th, 2009 07:00 AM

POV Hunting

I have some clients that asked me to do some research on POV cams. Their plan is to mount 2-3 cameras to cover deer hunts from a fixed position. Videos will be presented on web. Priorities are: 1) 720 or 1080 resolution 2)Long Battery life/record time (hunts last up to 4 hrs.), 3)remote activation if possible, 4) Good durability (water resistance, temps down to @0F.) 5)Price (max about $300.
Any ideas appreciated.

Jim Martin September 16th, 2009 12:00 PM

There is the ContourHD small camera that might work for you...small, weater resistant, HD,etc...their web site is: HD Helmet Camera - ContourHD by VholdR They are just getting them out and we have 20+ on order but have only received 2 or 3 so far here at Filmtools.

Jim Martin

James J. Lee September 16th, 2009 08:54 PM

VR Hold

Thanks Jim, I do have my sights on that one. Just wondering what the options are. If this does not have some type of remote switch, I think battery life/record time, could be an issue. Also think my clients would be more comfortable with set-up if they had some way to monitor the image. Any ideas? Is Contour HD the only game in town for HD right now?

Shawn McCalip September 17th, 2009 12:52 AM

Well, there's also this:
Sony | HXR-MC1 Digital HD Video Camera Recorder | HXR-MC1/ACC

But it's much more expensive than the ContourHD. I'd love to pick up a couple of these, but at nearly $3k a piece, I might have to settle on the Contour. Of course, if price is no obstacle, then go for it!

Panasonic also released a model similar to the Sony for a similar price, but I can't remember the name off hand...

Jim Martin September 17th, 2009 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn McCalip (Post 1363234)
Well, there's also this:
Sony | HXR-MC1 Digital HD Video Camera Recorder | HXR-MC1/ACC

But it's much more expensive than the ContourHD. I'd love to pick up a couple of these, but at nearly $3k a piece, I might have to settle on the Contour. Of course, if price is no obstacle, then go for it!

Panasonic also released a model similar to the Sony for a similar price, but I can't remember the name off hand...

The Panasonic one has been discontinued and was about $2k and needed its separate power unit to work

Jim Martin

Marcus Martell November 19th, 2009 05:05 AM

THe point is: CONTOURHD (WITH1080p) or GOPROHD?Any thoughts?

James J. Lee November 19th, 2009 06:42 AM

Got the ContourHD

As a follow up, I ended up getting the ContourHD. I like it though I sometimes wonder if I would have been better off with one of the tiny handicams. You can learn a lot about it's strengths and weaknesses here: http://www.vholdr.com/forums/contourhd-0
The biggest pain is that ridiculous rail mount system. They've decided to try to make their fortunes by selling mounts evidently instead of having a simple tripod mount machined into the unit so we could use our existing options.
On the other hand, it's so light that gaffer's tape holds it just about anywhere.

Marcus Martell November 20th, 2009 01:36 AM

Hey James i saw yor site: u 'r a terrific photographer!5 stars bro!
BTW going back to theese little cams:
i was planning to buy the contour for the cockpit shooting on both jets or helicopters....
What's your experience in that?

thx
once again u r an awesome photographer

James J. Lee November 20th, 2009 06:47 AM

Cockpits

Hey, Thanks Marcus. Just learning the video game though. I haven't shot video from cockpits but have been in a lot of plane and helo cockpits with my still cameras. The big problem with them is the harsh contrast between outside and in that no camera will handle. You generally have to choose whether the highlights are more important or the shadows and since these little cams have no exposure control, they'd be a real PITA. Unless, you're talking about shooting directly out through the window? If so, you'll likely be good. These little single chip cams just need a lot of light.

Larry Hill January 7th, 2010 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Martin (Post 1365876)
The Panasonic one has been discontinued and was about $2k and needed its separate power unit to work

Jim Martin

I just ran across this thread and couldn't help but comment that B&H shows the Panny AG-HCK10 and AG-HMR10 in stock, though together with a proprietary 9' connecting cable this outfit will set you back $4183.85....

Robert Turchick January 7th, 2010 11:19 PM

I have a Contour HD and my biggest complaint is the lens distortion. Plus is has a really hard time going from full sunlight to shadows. The GoPro is in the same boat. I wish there was a middle ground for HD POV cams rather than the jump from $300 to $3k for the Sony. 2 hours is the max battery life on these cams and the Contour has no way to add a bigger battery as it's a proprietary one. I am currently researching which flash memory camcorders will do the same job but look better. Some are not that much bigger and have image stabilization, auto focus and auto iris as well as the ability to take lens adapters or filters AND bigger batteries. We'll see!

Jon Wilson February 9th, 2010 09:27 PM

Contour HD

Hi Robert,

I have similar misgivings with the Contour HD. I've run it side by side with the GoPro and my results show the GoPro have a distinctively better image but neither do well in very low light. In my opinion the lens in the Contour HD 1080 is of low standard but I'm impressed with the GoPro.
The battery life is a real pain and also the availability of spare batteries is an issue I hope GoPro can address.
On another issue of after sale back up (which is also a consideration). I recently purchased a Contour HD that has malfunctioned and I'm finding it difficult to get my money back from the retailer. After supplying footage detailing the malfunctioning camera and getting vague responses from the retailer I've now contacted the manufacturer for a response. I'll update the post with their response when i have it.

James J. Lee February 9th, 2010 09:38 PM

Good Service

I had a problem with my mount on the Contour HD. Have I mentioned it's a stupid set-up? Anyway, I've got to give the manufactures credit, they responded quickly and shipped me a new flat mount within days. I get the feeling that we users of the Contour line are all product testers helping to refine the product. They are changing/improving so fast, I think there should be a trade-in special for "early adopters."
Still, I'm pretty satisfied with it for the price. I bought it to use to get extra b-roll from angles I couldn't get otherwise and it works OK for that purpose and at that price.

Stefano Sernagiotto February 12th, 2010 03:23 AM

So the Go pro seems to be a better choice,isn't it? I wanna bring it on a Cessna, what are your thought about the mounts i should buy?Thanks a lot

Jon Wilson February 12th, 2010 06:46 AM

Regarding the mounts for the GoPro Stefano. I have used the suction cup mount and the Roll Bar mount to good effect in small spaces such as cockpits and car interiors. I also have the grab bag of mounts which you can purchase and contain a series of adhesive mounts and bits and pieces. Its a good idea to get a few of these mount applications so you have some options.