DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Micro / POV Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/)
-   -   GOPRO HD Hero POV (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/476742-gopro-hd-hero-pov.html)

Adam Stanislav April 13th, 2010 11:46 AM

GOPRO HD Hero POV

I just saw this announcement of a small new inexpensive 1080p camera that will come with a 3D rig later this year. They refer to it as "a professional grade camera at consumer prices." Sounds very promising.

Jack Zhang April 13th, 2010 02:17 PM

The camera is available now, the 3D rig will come later is year. It actually produces better looking video than the Flip Mino HD (1080p vs 720p)

Adam Stanislav April 13th, 2010 03:10 PM

Thanks, Jack. Do you happen to know the width of the camera, or the actual interaxial distance(s) possible? Can the two cameras be synced properly?

I have been looking at the camera ever since I started this thread and see no obvious way of synchronizing the cameras, and that is making me less enthused than I was when I first saw that video.

Though it still looks like a good camera to have for special applications in 2D, especially given its low price.

Bill Thesken April 13th, 2010 06:24 PM

It's 2 and 5/16ths inches in width out of the housing,
the housing is 2 and 7/8ths in width.
(give or take a hair)

Adam Stanislav April 13th, 2010 08:33 PM

Thanks, Bill. So, that is about 6 cm. That would be good normally. But given it has a very wide angle lens, that may actually be too far.

Kaspar Kallas April 16th, 2010 01:46 AM

Hi

I have some footage shot with GoPro's in stereo configuration but the sync is real issue, the cameras rolling shutter is rolling differently that means if you have something moving then left-right will move apart and when it stops moving they will come back together.
Alos as it is auto exposure the cameras exposure will run differently.

The footage shot side-by-side is usable with slight discomfort.

We also have some footage shot with one camera upside down - to get the interaxial smaller, but this is virtually useless footage.

Hope this helps others avoid some of the errors we made....
It is amazing quality camera for the sheer size. I would not recommend this for any serious stereo usage. But it can be done - with some limitations in movements and movement speed.

-Kaspar

Adam Stanislav April 16th, 2010 06:17 AM

Thanks, Kaspar. I totally forgot it had auto exposure. I think I will just get one of them for now then and only use it in 2D and only for certain types of shots.

Pavel Houda April 16th, 2010 03:14 PM

I saw the proposed stereoscopic version at NAB. It consists of two of the of their HD Hero's side-by-side (6cm separation, no flip) in a plastic housing. I asked the guy at the booth about sync, and he said they genlock them, but I am not sure I believe it. They had the 3D mount in two locations, and in one case you could see the back through the transparent housing. There is a slotted space on the back, looks little like SD slot. They plugged a connector into each one, connected with a cable, and continued with that cable to the switch on the front of the housing. It would indicate that they at least start the recording with the same switch, but I have no idea if there is a real genlock involved. No real reason for it not to be so, except for some insight and planning. Genlock is really not that hard to implement, and since they sell their cameras in highly dynamic environments, it would be logical to consider it, assuming they know ahead of time that they may use the individual cameras in 3D configuration one day. I took a video of it, and will post in on YouTube (in 3D) if anyone cares to see it. The 3D version will be on the market "soon". It's possible, since they only have to mass produce the housing and connecting cable (prototypes obviously exist now).They were selling the cameras at the show for $200 ($100 off list).

Adam Stanislav April 16th, 2010 06:11 PM

Yes, Pavle, please post the video. Thanks.

Pavel Houda April 17th, 2010 08:52 AM

o.k., it's there @: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7TArc0JynQ . Sorry, my 3D cinematography skills are poor. I don't know how I managed it, but some of the clips were L/R reversed. I'll have to re-post the video.

Chris Hurd April 17th, 2010 10:19 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Click to see 'em big...

Pete Bauer April 17th, 2010 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pavel Houda (Post 1515293)
...he said they genlock them,

Although they didn't use the term genlock, they also did tell Chris and me that they will have a connector to keep the cameras in synch. Neither the cable nor the dual-camera clear case for stereo is available yet. Will give it a try when we get our hands on them.

Adam Stanislav April 17th, 2010 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pavel Houda (Post 1515530)
o.k., it's there @: YouTube - NAB 2010 Red & Cyan Anaglyph - GoPro Hero, True HD and NEW 3D Arrangement . Sorry, my 3D cinematography skills are poor. I don't know how I managed it, but some of the clips were L/R reversed. I'll have to re-post the video.

I was going to watch it anyway (holding my glasses in reverse) but it is marked private.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1515552)
Click to see 'em big...

The bottom two (on the helmet) would give you a real headache the way they are tilted.

Edit: Come to think of it, the top two have the same problem.

Pavel Houda April 17th, 2010 12:24 PM

Unfortunately only part of it was reversed, so I better fix it. I was reviewing one of the takes cross-eye, and forgot to take it back.

The new URL is: YouTube - NAB 2010 yt3D - GoPro Hero, True HD and NEW 3D Arrangement .

Scott Parker April 19th, 2010 02:57 PM

Have any of you seen the Tachyon 3D system? 3D Helmet Cam from Tachyon XC It comes with it's own 3D software.