Capturing 1080p in the wild for 12+ hours at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old September 8th, 2010, 03:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Capturing 1080p in the wild for 12+ hours

I've a couple of tiny GoPro HD cameras which will be placed close to protected species next year (have the relevant licences) and the new firmware update now gives the ability to output live 1080p.

This opens the door to recording for many more hours than the SD cards can manage, but onto what?

Given that these cameras need to output their footage for at least 12hrs is there anything out there that can record HD and will run off 12v batteries?

Your thoughts are awaited with great interest.

Chris
Old September 9th, 2010, 06:32 AM   #2
Major Player

What do they output? YUV HD
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 01:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The output is to the onboard card is Mpeg4 file(s) containing PAL compatible footage.
The live feed however is 1080p TV footage so the Pal output will be YUV.
Old September 9th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #4
Major Player

hi
As far as I can see there is only a composite output from the camera. Then you will not have 1080P recorded on external recorder - you can only record HD on the internal card. I am not aware of the TVsignal on the compositecable. Guess it will be a NTSC signal at 60hz and not pal as it is 50hz and the camera cannot record at that framerate.
Old September 9th, 2010, 03:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Bob

Thanks for your thoughts.
The camera is switchable between NTC and Pal so thats not a problem but I do note that the composite output rather messes up my idea.
May have to invest in 64gb sd cards, if supported in a later update, and provided external power, as that would then give 8hrs on 1080p.
Spring is a long way off yet so I'll put more thought to this.

Many thanks
Old September 10th, 2010, 04:05 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi
I am using the sony HDR-SR7 to record during the night. It has nightvision and onboard harddisk that can record for max 22 hours. 12V powersupply can be supplied. HDMI out makes it possible to record in HD on an extern device if nedded.
Old September 10th, 2010, 09:30 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Skelmose View Post
hi
As far as I can see there is only a composite output from the camera. Then you will not have 1080P recorded on external recorder - you can only record HD on the internal card.
That's not correct, the HD Hero has both a Composite and HD (YUV) output options. Mine comes with both cables. And the new firmware does live output to the HD port as well.

Battery life will be an issue. The longest I've had my HD Hero running is 6 hrs doing a time lapse, so external power will be needed.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 02:01 PM   #8
Major Player

Great then. Mine only have a composite cable unless you can use the same cable for HD out?. Analog YUV HD you can convert to HDMI or HDSDI and then you can record to a nanoflash recorder. First converted there are several posibilities for recorders running 12V.
Cannot remember any smal YUV HD recorders.
Old September 11th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #9
Major Player

I think you might have a different model from the current HD Hero. My HD Hero has 3 plugs on the one side, Composite out, USB and then a HDTV out (YUV).
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 01:33 AM   #10
Major Player

Found the HD cable - and yes my HD hero can output HD. The great thing about my HD hero camera is that it could be put somewhere where it could resist water and fog but it cannot when DC and Video out is mounted.
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems