Tell Me About HD SportsCams at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old September 24th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Tell Me About HD SportsCams

What do you like in an HD sportscam?

Compact would be nice but not as important as battery life (2-4 hours would be good), must be HD, will get wet if not submerged and will be subjected to potentially high vibration locations such as aircraft landing gear and motorcycles.

I'm assuming none of them would be miniDV but that would actually be my preference. Under $1000 is a must. Under $500 would be fantastic.
Old September 24th, 2010, 09:08 PM   #2
Regular Crew

GoPro Official Store: Wearable Digital Cameras for Sports
John Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 10:35 PM   #3
Regular Crew

So I just have to ask: really? That looks almost too good to be true. I've paid more than that for just an underwater housing for a run of the mill Canon still camera.
Old September 25th, 2010, 05:02 AM   #4
Trustee

Man go with §GOPRO, the new firmware is out with a lot of new goodies and....u can stick the lil gopro EVERYWHERE!
;)
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 11:11 PM   #5
Photographer

GoPro Hero

Here's a link to a test run I did with my first Hero:

This was shot in 920 (?) which is just under HD. I bought a second Hero a few days later because I was so impressed. I've run a couple more experiments and here's my take. These are amazing little cameras for the price. Going to HD mode narrows the field of view from 170 to 127 degrees and to tell you the truth, I don't see a bunch of difference between HD and the setting right under it, as far as quality goes. I thought the footage of me flying my Cub was kind of neat and the quality was pretty good for what it was. The camera is positionable in many spots you just couldn't stick any other camera.

I ran a side by side test with my POV 1.5 camera and the Hero put the $695.00 POV to shame in both color and over all quality. Further testing revealed that my first test just happened to be a scenario where the Hero performs well. I pointed the Hero forward and down a few degrees to see how it would do capturing sweeping low level fly over footage and it was mediocre at best. Sharpness of objects not fairly close (10 feet or so) is less than impressive. Lens flare is a problem due to the domed front element and no handy way to flag it.

The CMOS sensor has a little of that jello effect, but not too bad if you keep the g's under control. In my aviation application the weird prop effect caused by the rolling shutter is pretty annoying. All in all it's a fun camera for sports pov type of clips where you're just goofing around. I don't see much of a commercial application for me at this point.

BTW if you are thinking about buying one, or more. Do it somewhere other than the company website. I saved 60 bucks on my second one by going through Amazon.com
Old September 26th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #6
Major Player

GoPro seems to own this market. And it is almost too good to be true.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2010, 09:16 AM   #7
Trustee

Yep but remeber GP doesn't make miracles.....U have to calculate what u use it for!
;)
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems