DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Micro / POV Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/)
-   -   GO Pro Camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/486050-go-pro-camera.html)

Katie Maguire October 12th, 2010 06:30 PM

GO Pro Camera

HI, I'm having trouble loading in transcoded Go Pro .MOV files into final cut. I understand that you are supposed to use MPEG Stream clip and convert them to Pro Res 422. Instead of using MPEGSC, I used quicktime (because it was faster). The file still will not import into final cut.
Any advice?

Guy McLoughlin October 13th, 2010 08:16 AM

Try the ClipWrap free trial and see if it can handle your footage.

ClipWrap Software

Katie Maguire October 13th, 2010 01:44 PM

Clipwrap

The problem with clipwrap is that is doesn't accept my .MOV or my original source footage which was delivered in MPEG4.

Paul R Johnson October 13th, 2010 02:13 PM

I know you're talking about FCP - but Adobe just imports the mpeg file as it comes off the card - no transcoding - does FCP not do this? I'd have thought mpeg4 wasn't that unusual as a file format?

Katie Maguire October 13th, 2010 03:06 PM

Hey-

Yeah, these files were definitely delivered as Mpeg4s. Can Adobe export them as quicktimes Pro Res 4:2:2?

Robert Young October 13th, 2010 09:37 PM

I doubt it. ProRes is an Apple product.
For Adobe, you probably need to use a DI like Cineform.

Chuck Spaulding October 14th, 2010 05:01 PM

ProRes is Apples version of Cineform. Idon't think using Quicktime actually encodes anything, it just puts a Quictime wrapper on it turning it into a .MOV, you still need the codec that created it.

Have you tried importing GoPro Files using Log and Transfer?

I upgrading FCP with the Canon plug-in for L&T of 7D footage, I don't know if its something Canon did or what came along with the latest Pro Apps upgrade but I've been able to use L&T for all kinds of stuff lately.

Katie Maguire October 15th, 2010 11:38 AM

Interesting! Maybe I should try the canon plug-in for L&T of 7D footage...
I did try the Log and Transfer Option but it didn't recognize the root folder.

Katie Maguire October 18th, 2010 10:41 AM

well, its good to have but it definitely didn't work for go pro.
:(

Tim Kolb October 18th, 2010 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Young (Post 1578497)
I doubt it. ProRes is an Apple product.
For Adobe, you probably need to use a DI like Cineform.

I think if you're on a Mac with FCS on it, the other apps on the machine would have access to ProRes wouldn't they?

It's been a while since I had a Mac PowerBook, but I thought Adobe could write ProRes as long as FCP was on the machine...maybe I'm wrong.

Paul Cronin October 18th, 2010 02:54 PM

Katie I use the GoPro all the time and am even putting a fun clip up today.

You take the clip from the camera put it in Mpeg streamclip and choose Prores 422. Also if you have used 720 60fps make sure you put the 60 fps in the box. Or you can convert it here to 29.97 or what ever you are using. You can cut just what you want from the clip then export.

Now if you want to do slow motion you need to also use Cinema Tools which comes with FC. Once the clip is up go to Conform in the bottom right corner and pick the frame rate you need to make is slow motion. this is instant.

All of this is also spelled out on the GoPro site.

Does all of this make sense?

Katie Maguire October 20th, 2010 09:41 AM

Yes, thank you. All of this makes sense.
However, MPEGSTREAM takes all day to encode my movie files and I have about 20. I did a test with 1 and did exactly as you say and I could not import it into final cut.
I'm contacting the Go Pro support team to see what they think.

Paul Cronin October 20th, 2010 10:46 AM

Katie something must be wrong. For me to run a 32GB card through MPEG streamclip it is about 25 min going from 720p 60p to ProRes422.

Happy to give you all the settings if you don't find what you are looking for on GoPro.