Mounting GoPro to a Snowboard at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old November 25th, 2010, 06:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Mounting GoPro to a Snowboard

I'm in the process of getting a GoPro HD Hero and I'm wondering what accessories to get with it. Next winter I plan to take it on my snow trip and I’d really like to mount the GoPro to my snowboard somehow.

I was thinking about using the Suction Cup Mount but on the website they specifically don't recommend using it on a snowboard. Would the Adhesive mount be strong enough or would the stick-on Surf Mount be more suitable? I anyone else has been in this situation some advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Old November 25th, 2010, 09:09 AM   #2
Inner Circle

The secret is to minimise the distance between the camera and the surface - the suction mounts have built in flexing - by virtue of the rubber - so with the distance from hard surface to the camera, the wobbles as the board (or in my case, ski) vibrate make the picture very unstable. The stick on mounts 'rigidise' it - and the vibration, despite being rigid is actually better from the visual perspective. The mount the camera comes with - for sitting the camera into the box is pretty useful for flat surfaces - and works pretty well for flat surfaces - not to good on skis because of the width, but worth trying on a board - you can fix it with gaffer tape or similar. I always use a small safety, clipped to my boot, just in case it falls off - which so far it never has.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 09:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice Paul. I'm itching for my GoPro to arrive so I can have a play around... But unfortunately I'll have to wait till June to try it out on snow.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 03:19 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I would not recomend the suction mount for your board for the following reasons:

Depending on the board, unless you have a glossy flat spot, the suction cup will not stay stuck. It works great on metal and glass and some fiberglass and plastics. Wood, and any other grain surface...forget it. (My board is an older K2 with a fiberglass, almost woodgrain feeling top on it. No stick from the cup.

The suction cup is bigger. The stickpads keep a smaller footing on the board, which means less for it to catch on if you bail.

I would go sticky pads, or use the base it came with like Paul said.
Anyhow, that is just my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.

Happy Boarding!
Rob Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 05:49 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Snowboards vibrate and flex a lot. Your footage will move a lot. You need to separate the camera from the board.

Here is some footage I shot before Go Pro's were around. We started out with a sony mini dv handycam - but the camera fell to pieces after one descent. We switched to 16mm GSAP cameras after that.

Ben Ruffell

Click on '3 Degrees Promo'
Ben Ruffell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 12:37 AM   #6
Wrangler

Stick it.
Rip it.
Kill it.
Old December 7th, 2010, 06:16 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Rob, my board is glossy and pretty flat (and fairly ridged as far as most snowboards go) but if I can afford it I may upgrade it anyway. Regardless I think I'll stick to the standard mount for the moment and give the suction cup a miss (as everyone has suggested). Maybe if I feel a little eccentric I'll try out the Surf mount.

And just to clarify, I do intend on using other methods of stabilizing (polecam etc) but I just would really like to have a snowboard perspective if I can. It doesn't need to be cinema quality, this particular use is just to document my holiday and have a bit of fun with friends, but the nicer it looks the better.

Thanks for the help guys.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems