Video: GoPro HD Hero as a Pole CAM at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old February 10th, 2011, 02:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Video: GoPro HD Hero as a Pole CAM

It's a simple idea: GoPro Camera, on a tripod mount adapter, connected to a mono-pod, with a weight at the far end. While the weigh helped to stabilize the up/down, right/left movement of the camera as I walked, it did nothing to stop the rotational shake of the camera. Still, the idea is sound and with a few additions, I can fix that problem.

If you look closely at the video, you can see the car reflections of the camera rig.

Bob Diaz
Bob Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #2
Trustee

Nice. One of the great things about super-wide lenses is that they take out the wobbles a bit, so it's great for walking around and moving with.

Here's another example of the gopro being used as a pole cam for a unique shot:

John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 09:35 AM   #3
Trustee

If you can change your rig so the axis of the pole passes through the center of the camera, that will aid in stability while walking. It appears the camera is hanging below the pole, which was probably more convenient. You'd really need a yoke type mount to have a full range of tilt on the camera without displacing it from the axis of the pole.
You can also add a handle to the pole. One hand will be on the pole, one hand on the handle. This allows better control of the twisting motion along the axis of the pole.
Enjoyed the video!
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm thinking of building a "T" like weight system at the end of the pole, rather than use a single weight.

I think the basic idea is sound, but just needs a little more work.

Bob Diaz
Bob Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 06:23 PM   #5
Major Player

Maybe it's just the compression in upload, but clips like the New Zealand pole surfer above concerns me. That quality is awful compared to the video clips on the GoPro website.

How are they treating their video to get such great looking results?
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #6
Major Player

I'm sure they're doing a lot of tuning in post, and the one's I've looked at all have close to optimal lighting.
I've gotten some really nice footage out of the GoPro...haven't needed to do anything to it in post. I've also gotten lots of really crummy footage out of it.
I put down the crummy stuff mostly to the operator; I know the camera will shoot pretty impressive video if you feed it what it needs..light...lots of light
Wayne Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #7
Major Player

Yeah, the lighting is really key, especially since that's the only thing you have any control over. Too dark and the nice is unbearable, too bright and everything blows out. You've really got to keep it in the sweet spot.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems