Looking for POV camera advise - sound quality important! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old March 8th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Looking for POV camera advise - sound quality important!

My son got a new camera for his birthday; but after playing around with it, decided that he wanted something smaller; but something that would do video for airsoft games and practice.

We returned it, because he decided he would prefer video camera, rather than still... Now, he is thinking of a camera that could be mounted to a gun, rather than a traditional video camera.

Here's 4 I found:

1.*Contour HD
2.*Tachyon XC HD
3.*GoPro
4.*Drift

I like the GoPro best, he likes the Contour best. So what I am wondering is which one has the best sound quality, as he may use occasionally to do reviews, Do any of them allow an external microphone? Any advise would be highly appreciated!
David Stembridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 06:59 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Looking for POV camera advise - sound quality important!

I have only got first hand experience with the goPro, and personally I think you're on the money there. I don't think any of the camera's mentioned have the ability to add a secondary mike, however in all cases there are easy workarounds.
Something low cost like a Zoom h1 for audio and syncing it in post is a logical direction to go. The nice thing about the GoPro is it's flexibility and bomb proof design. I know the others are also built very ruggedly too, but the gopro has repeatedly amazed me what it will withstand and still functon. Adding the new LCD back makes it a much more useful camera, and the wide variety of mounting options are a big plus.
Wayne Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 07:44 AM   #3
Major Player

The Drift Innovation HD170 Stealth Camera has an external mic you can get for it. I've got the GoPro but haven't had a chance to really test it out but have some plans for it this spring. Waitng for my lcd.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #4
Major Player

Gordon
I think you'll like the LCD on the gopro a great deal. I put mine through a lot of use last year, but the lack of ability to see what I shot/was shooting frustrated me every time. With the LCD, I can now actually frame the shot a bit...Huge improvement.
How are things in Pincher Creek? I was through there a week ago, and wasn't sure we'd keep the truck on the road the wind was blowing so hard
Old March 9th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks a lot guys for the feedback,
I did see several other posts on here as well, that'll be helpful. Are there local stores that typically carry these? to be able to look at before purchase?
We are in Augusta, Ga area
David Stembridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 01:15 PM   #6
Wrangler

GoPro is great for what it does -- wide angle POV in HD in good lighting situations -- and I'll probably even buy another pair of them, but IMO their capabilities don't include "good sound." At least for my two current units, sound is rather poor quality. That said, I have no idea if any of the other cameras is any better.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 03:53 PM   #7
Major Player

I think in reality the nature of the beast with all of them is that they aren't going to record stellar audio. They aren't designed to be used in optimal situations; just the opposite. It's hard enough to get decent audio on a stationary camera in a controlled environment, much less hurtling down a ski hill.

I think you really have to look at a secondary aduio source and post processing if you're audio is really critical
Old March 9th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #8
Major Player

Wayne
I would think the lcd will make the GoPro a very handy little camera.
Pincher has finally warmed up. Above freezing for a change. Winds only suppose to gust to 80km tonight so not to bad.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #9
Major Player

I wish...Long time Calgary resident here. I retired last summer and my wife was transferred two weeks later to Regina. We've been up to our armpits in snow since October. Windy here too, all the time however it's a light breeze for you folks. We had to pick up a vehicle in Fernie, and I truly thought a couple of times we were going to be blown off the highway...and we were in a Hummer.
Wayne Reimer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems