GoPro Hero - problem with recording shut off at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old March 9th, 2011, 02:47 PM   #1
Inner Circle

GoPro Hero - problem with recording shut off

Hi,

I bought a GoPro last year to shoot some in cockpit footage of a jet aerobatics team. I used two Contours (borrowed) in the lead aircraft and my GoPro in the rear aircraft. Unfortunately the Gopro stopped recording before they took off because they were delayed by ATC and it only managed to record about an hour of taxiing and waiting around.

I assumed at first that the battery had given up but I then tested it on an 75 minute car journey and it had plenty to spare - enough even for the full return journey. Then a few days ago I went for an hour's bike ride. I kept checking to see if the camera was still recording. It was. However on reviewing the footage it stopped after about 40 minutes. This leads me to wonder whether there is anything wrong with the camera or the 16Gb Cat 6 SD card I am using (an Integral Ultima Pro, recommended by the supplier of the camera).

I also wondered whether the camera was hitting some filesize limit but I have read that if it does it should then start recording to a new file. Mine isn't doing that.

Any thoughts? Anything else that might help with troubleshooting?

Advice welcomed! Thanks.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 03:34 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: GoPro Hero - problem with recording shut off

One of my original two GoPro cameras had a similar problem out of the box.

In my case, the physical connection to the USB cable had a different, mushier feel than the other camera, the red charge light wouldn't illuminate, and I'd get only a partial charge. Even though I knew something wasn't right, I put up with that for a while anyway...but when I did the firmware upgrade they released several months ago, that camera would not power up at all unless I first briefly removed the battery after each charging (losing all settings) and still it would not fully charge.

I then did what I should have done right away: got an RMA and sent it in to GoPro. The RMA process was straightforward and in short order I had a replacement camera that has the same crisp connection via USB and everything has been fine since.

YMMV but I'd contact GoPro.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 03:42 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: GoPro Hero - problem with recording shut off

Pretty sure it's not a battery issue but yes, I think a call into GoPro is sensible. Trouble is I have to ship it to the US from the UK if they recommend a return to base :( . Could take weeks!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems