gopro lens cap at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old March 23rd, 2011, 12:45 PM   #1
Major Player

gopro lens cap

What are gopro users doing for a lens cap?
The dome seems very vulnerable to scratches. Need to store the camera without something rubbing the lens dome.
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:07 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: gopro lens cap

I just store the whole GoPro plus case and suction cup in an old soft fuzzy sock. You can also buy an inexpensive replacement dome for the case if the damage has already been done; they call it a "lens replacement kit."

http://gopro.com/camera-accessories/...placement-kit/
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:51 PM   #3
Major Player

I know about replacement domes.
I want to avoid needing to do that. The dome sticks out for easy bumping & scratching.

I've never owned a lens without a lens cap. That probably totals around 25 or 30 lenses.

Seems odd.
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 06:48 PM   #4
Major Player

I dropped the gopro in a Nikon lens pouch i do not use. Its nice soft material.
Ann Bens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 09:00 PM   #5
Major Player

I've had my GoPro bouncing around in camera bags, my coat pocket for about a year w/o any sort of cap, and it's fine.

Considering that this is mean to be mounted on cars, bikes etc, as long as you're not grinding something against it, it should be fine.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 12:26 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Bens View Post
I dropped the gopro in a Nikon lens pouch i do not use. Its nice soft material.
I do this as well. Seems to work very well.
Rob Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 03:15 AM   #7
Inner Circle

The front lens (and it is a lens) does seem to be made from pretty hard plastic but it's completely uncoated, so not only does it add to the flare levels but there's no anti-scratch coating applied either (as there is on your spectacles, say). It does seem a strange omission on GoPro's part.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 08:42 PM   #8
Major Player

I carry mine in the soft (maybe microfiber?) pouch that came with my Sony HGA07B. I also carry a spare housing with me.
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #9
New Boot

Right now I have the camera in the clear box that it came in and keep it mounted as it came when I bought it. I admit that it makes for a big hard plastic camera bag of sorts. I then put all of my parts and mounts in an old camera bag that I had.

BTW, what do you guys use to carry your Go Pro stuff in?
I'm looking for a sort of Pelican case to store my Go Pros in. I have one of the new HD versions as well as an old SD. Plus all of the mounts and cords, etc. I also took a 3M mount and stuck it to a Maffer clamp that I had and have used it on both a sprint car and a fork lift. That's another mount item I want to put in my eventual carrying case. I laid out everything and I would like a case that is 17.5" W X 15.5" L and between 5" and 7" deep. I saw the one on Eye of Mine website but I'm worried that it might be flimsy.

Thanks,
George
George Wilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 05:19 AM   #10
Major Player

The GoPro housing case lens is actually glass not hard plastic. To test it touch the lens to your lips....cold... glass. Touch the plastic case, not cold. It also has a slight magnification, purpose unknown.

Ian
Ian Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 08:49 AM   #11
Major Player

I keep mine in a Pelican ( model 1215?) with pluck out foam. Everything goes in there; all the mounts, cables, etc. so it's all in one place when I want it, I just grab the box.

The only thing that doesn't fit in there is the chest harness...I'd need a bigger case, and it really doesn't get used enough to warrant that. It resides in the bottom of my equipment case ( on wheels...with everything I need for a shoot that doesn't require massive protection.)

I've picked up a couple of Nanuck cases locally and they are very comparable to Pelicans in build quality, and about 40% cheaper. I've got 7 different small hard cases now, and they all stack inside my big equipment box on the bottom, so when I am doing a shoot, I have evreything in one spot at the same time, and it works really well.

I'm using a big Stanley tool box with luggage wheels and a pull out handle for the heavy hauling. It was cheap ( about $100) and has a really neat tiered setup. once it's stood upright, you can unlock it and the upper two layers slide back, over the luggage wheel assembly. works well...organized, and easy to move everything at once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Wilkins View Post
Right now I have the camera in the clear box that it came in and keep it mounted as it came when I bought it. I admit that it makes for a big hard plastic camera bag of sorts. I then put all of my parts and mounts in an old camera bag that I had.

BTW, what do you guys use to carry your Go Pro stuff in?
I'm looking for a sort of Pelican case to store my Go Pros in. I have one of the new HD versions as well as an old SD. Plus all of the mounts and cords, etc. I also took a 3M mount and stuck it to a Maffer clamp that I had and have used it on both a sprint car and a fork lift. That's another mount item I want to put in my eventual carrying case. I laid out everything and I would like a case that is 17.5" W X 15.5" L and between 5" and 7" deep. I saw the one on Eye of Mine website but I'm worried that it might be flimsy.

Thanks,
George
Wayne Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 04:05 PM   #12
New Boot

Thanks Wayne for your input on your cases and what you use.
George Wilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 05:11 PM   #13
Major Player

Ian Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 07:36 PM   #14
Major Player

I keep mine in an old case I probably got at a yard sale...(Yeah, I'm a packrat)

Don Litten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #15
New Boot

I found the SoBe Lifewater bottle caps work well. Just sand the threads away with a Dremel until it just pops on and it will stay on. For extra security I use a rubber band to make sure it stays on.
Howard Harrelson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems