DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Micro / POV Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/)
-   -   GoPro Videos I shot (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/493656-gopro-videos-i-shot.html)

Bob Diaz March 26th, 2011 09:44 PM

GoPro Videos I shot

The first was shot on a pole and used to get next to impossible shots with regular cameras:

I still need to come up with a better counter balance system to help steady the camera, but overall the idea is sound.

------------------------------------------------------

The second video is from a scooter ride:

A helmet camera mount works great, BUT because it's up so high, it makes everything look smaller. Flipping the camera backward does give a different view, but I had no idea what I shot until after the ride.

Bob Diaz

Rob Knoll March 31st, 2011 12:22 PM

Re: GoPro Videos I shot

Very nice. The first video, with the GoPro on a pole, had a crane type look to it which I liked alot.
I agree with you on the scooter video. Head mounted is my least favorite way to go. But it turned out good from what I saw.

If you wanted to add some "action" to your scooter video, try putting the GoPro on a pole, and have a passenger crane from the road to the driver. Or get some closeups of the tires.
Just a thought. Nice videos either way. Glad you are having fun with it.

Wayne Reimer March 31st, 2011 05:49 PM

I mounted a seatpost clamp to the front axle stub on my Harley last fall and shot so video during a trip down the Riding to the Sun Highway in Montana. It worked out wonderfully....nice, low angle to the road, and it was fairly easy to either include or eliminate the front wheel from the edge of frame. I'm looking forward to getting the bike out again ( as soon as all of our snow disappears, that is) and shooting some more footage from that, and other perspectives. the LCD back is going to be a huge help with framing.

I've tried helmet mounting, and don't care for it. Too much distortion, and if you're riding at all defensively, your head is on a swivel which is quite nauseating to watch. The suction mount on the gas tank works, as does mounting the suction cup on the end of my air intake. I've attached quick release clips in several spots on the bike so I can switch it out quickly. I'm very tempted to pick up another GoPro so that I have multi cam setups running. Now, however, I think I'll wait to see what they do with their new acquisition. there could be some exciting times coming for these little cameras

Bob Diaz April 1st, 2011 09:58 AM

Thanks for the comments, as for the scooter video, I still want to try some different mounting points. I do have a clamp system for the lower shots. I attach the clamp to the lower part of the frame.

Lots more tests to do...

Bob Diaz

Ian Newland April 2nd, 2011 07:46 PM

Hi Bob, nice videos from the GoPro.

I use a Gopro on a Monopod with weight on the bottom, then hold the monopod at balance point. Not quite a SteadyCam but uses the same idea.

GoPro footage is the on on the left. Might not be suitable while riding a scooter but may give you some ideas.

Cheers Rambo