GoPro diving set up w lights - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old May 31st, 2011, 11:08 AM   #16
New Boot

Re: GoPro diving set up w lights

Thanks for the info Ron ... I am considering purchasing the ultra light TR-GP with TR-DHB handle Ultralight Control Systems - GoPro Accessories and the Aqua Sun eLed Rechargable: The AquaSun eLED Dive Light Underwater Kinetics

This Aqua sun seems like it would put out plenty of light and it says it is a wide beam but doesn't give specifics on how wide.

I will be shooting during the day but at depths up to 120 feet ... will I still need a pink filter with this set up?
Old May 31st, 2011, 12:55 PM   #17
Major Player

Thanks for the info.
Ann Bens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 06:32 PM   #18
Major Player

The GoPro needs light. When things get a little dark, your footage will have a lot of video noise. Try shooting indoors and you will see what I mean.

120 feet is pretty deep. At that depth I would skip the filter and bring the biggest most powerful lights you have. Where are you diving ? Is the water clear ?
Old June 2nd, 2011, 11:41 PM   #19
New Boot

Headed to the Cayman Islands ... the water should be clear. I know what you mean about the gopro's noise problem in low light situations ... So the filter isn't necessary if I have enough light correct? I'm just worried about a drastic white balance shift in the middle of a sweet shot of tarpon or something : )
Old June 3rd, 2011, 07:06 AM   #20
Major Player

Filmed while snorkeling:
YouTube - #x202a;Bonaire - watercolors‬‏

Last edited by Ann Bens; June 3rd, 2011 at 05:34 PM.
Ann Bens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2011, 04:26 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Clement View Post
Headed to the Cayman Islands ... the water should be clear. I know what you mean about the gopro's noise problem in low light situations ... So the filter isn't necessary if I have enough light correct? I'm just worried about a drastic white balance shift in the middle of a sweet shot of tarpon or something : )
The filter helps with color at the expense of cutting out light. As you go deeper, the need for light can override the need for color. The exact depth where this takes place varies depending on water clarity, time of day and sunlight.

Typically filters for video are used for depths between 12 feet and 80 feet. I not aware of many recreational dives in the Caymans deeper than 80-90 ft. In my humble opinion, use the filter the whole time in Cayman Islands, unless you are doing a night dive or diving over 100 feet.

Bonaire, Hilma Hooker. Around 75-80 ft, low viz maybe 35-45 ft. Late afternoon. Using the filter. On this dive, the need for the filter out weighs the need for light.
Old September 24th, 2012, 02:54 PM   #22
Major Player

Hello

i also search an affordable LED light for my underwater video with the gopro (medium FOV).
I will dive no more than 10m.
Any suggestion for the lamp? thx

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems