Is your GoPro Hero HD getting hot and powering off? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old May 7th, 2011, 04:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Is your GoPro Hero HD getting hot and powering off?

My trusty GoPro Hero HD has been giving me some trouble ever since I upgraded the firmware to install the LCD BacPac. It has been getting very hot (with the LCD attached, but off) while recording. It gets to 30 min or so, and cuts off. I was using the vented back, and recording a music festival in air conditioned facilities.
It has me stumped, because I have recorded for hours, and timelapsed till the battery died many times.
It really goofed me up, finding out my "B" cam was dead in the water during the intermission, and only recorded 32 min of the first half.
You live and you learn....

Has anyone else had the Overheating GoPro trouble, or is this a rare case? You input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Rob Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Is your GoPro Hero HD getting hot and powering off?

I've run mine through an entire battery numerous times since upgrading the firmware for the LCD with zero problems. Admittedly I live in Canada, so it isn't exactly "sweltering" here, but I've shot a full 8 gigs continuously in the truck, mounted to the windshield with the suction cup mount without any problem
Wayne Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 04:32 PM   #3
Major Player

Mine overheated and turned off once or twice a while back while using the screen (25-30 minute range). That was a hot day though and the camera was in direct sunlight.
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #4
Regular Crew

This is a new problem for me too. I did a lot shooting with my GoPro in Quebec last November, and used it all day for hours at a time, with absolutely no issues. Strange.....
Old May 7th, 2011, 04:36 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Sharp View Post
Mine overheated and turned off once or twice a while back while using the screen (25-30 minute range). That was a hot day though and the camera was in direct sunlight.
As I said, this was indoors, in air conditioning, with a vented back. Making it a stupefying problem to me. The quest continues....
Old May 7th, 2011, 06:13 PM   #6
Major Player

We have quite a few reports of this in the Gopro Users forum with one member measuring and recording the temp with and without LCD ( tested the battery Bacpac as well). The results were elevated temps using the LCD compared to not using it, so yes it's normal due to the larger current draw.

The LCD was designed to be a framing/playback/menu aid, not a full time monitor, so best not to use it for extended periods. The TV out is disabled when the LCD is plugged in and is routed to the LCD via the port when the new FW is installed. Apparently there is still a current flow when the LCD is turned off but inserted into the port.

The test results by member Suryaprihadi (he had two different LCD bacpacs)
I did a test, fully battery , no housing, R5, ambient temperature 29Celcius, LCD on 100% all the time. The battery gets very hot, much hotter than without LCD, at least 45C by the time the low battery warning came. It did not get "hot" alarm though. I think it is best to use the LCD in off mode and use it only when needed or the unit's PCB board will suffer. Typical electronic component limit will be 55C maximum.

Last edited by Ian Newland; May 7th, 2011 at 06:46 PM.
Ian Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 08:32 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I am 90% sure the problem was with the LCD, because it is the only thing that has changed in the equation since getting the GoPro.

Based on the intel I have gathered so far, having the LCD BacPac attached, (not even turned on, just attached as was the case with me) will substantially heat up the GoPro to the point of overheating.

This is a MAJOR design flaw if you ask me.

I understand it may not be made for leaving on for long periods of time, but the fact that it cannot even be left attached and switched off without rendering your camera useless in a 1/2 hour is pretty disappointing. How many cameras (I will save you some time, it is ALL of them) come with LCD screens that are even bigger, that don't get smoking hot. Why does this tiny thing insist on getting hot enough to fry an egg on?

I suppose what we can take away from this is a warning not to use your GoPro LCD if you plan on using it for more than a few minutes. Believe me, I learned my lesson.
Old May 7th, 2011, 09:53 PM   #8
Major Player

As much as i love the GoPro's and i've been involved with them since day one and own over 20 of them, i'm disappointed in the direction they have taken from the point of view of a multiple POV cam user. Battery/LCD bacpacs and 3D might appeal to the masses for marketing and sales reasons, but of more importance to me would be the following improvements to the EXISTING camera.

1. Better codec/higher data rate
2. Adjustable shutter/Exposure lock
3. Interchangeable INTERNAL lenses.
4. Faster sensor readout (less jello)
5. Anti fog watertight breather/air exchanger

The Gopro needs a complete redesign if it is to start including all these Clunky/Bulky addons to what is a 5 year old design. Now they have a large business/$$$$'s/well known brand, and formed some good partnerships, the time has come for a new model to take GoPro into the next 5 years. I've heard rumors, but nothing more.

Sorry to hear about your issues Rob, take them to GoPro support, they should exchange it if you believe it's not functioning normally or is worst than the average others.

R
Old May 10th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #9
Regular Crew

All the popular POV camera use CMOS sensors because they include a lot of processing power on the imaging chip. But their drawback is the way the image is scanned, top to bottom. On CCD chips, the whole frame is captured at once, then shifted out.

Because the bottom is captured later than the top, we have the jello effect whenever there is major subject movement. I have found that camera vibration as occuring in motorsports use accentuates this jello effect. I am working on vibration isolators to reduce this problem but admit that going back to CCD imaging is the best solution to removing jello.
Mark Goldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 06:40 PM   #10
Major Player

CCD is as good as dead for all but expensive ENG cams $10k+ with 1/3 sensors.. The best solution is to wait for CMOS processing to get faster or include a global shutter, 120fps will also help.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:21 PM   #11
Regular Crew

The long and short of it is, I sent the GoPro back to the company at their request, and they quickly sent me out a nice new GoPro for free. Apparently there was something wrong with the old one, and they rectified the situation beautifuly.
Thanks GoPro. You made me one happy camper.

(Now while I have your attention, how about some of those upgrades from the list above this on the thread?)
Rob Knoll is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems