DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Micro / POV Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/)
-   -   Cable Dolly movement with Gopro - anyone (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/495596-cable-dolly-movement-gopro-anyone.html)

Vishal Jadhav May 8th, 2011 02:28 AM

Cable Dolly movement with Gopro - anyone

Hi,

I want to shoot a stream of water from above for around 10 meters , dont need to do it with a DSLR but with a POV like gopro, have a GOpro HD with me.
Has any one tried this and any suggestion.
transporting a gopro on a cable at a steady pace from point 1 to point 2
my object is to have one point at bottom of the stream and one at top of it and try and see if i can make my pov go from down to up.
1) is any product available that can make this possible
2) has anyone done a DIY on this type of situation

Kindly let me know.

Vishal

Wayne Reimer May 8th, 2011 05:55 AM

Re: Cable Dolly movement with Gopro - anyone

It should work...the trick is going to be to power it. I'm sure that someone makes a power unit, but I wouldn't even begin to know where to look. Since you're shooting with a go pro, my thought would be to go "low tech" with PVC.
say, three T-joints and a couple of feet of PVC..one t-joint slid over two separate cables/ropes running parallel to one another. add a couple of 4in. pieces to either end of the joints for added front to back stability. join the two together with two additional 4in pieces of PVC and another T-joint. Use the T-joint in the middle as your mounting point for the gopro.
Run a third, lightweight line from the mount to your ending point, and then you could manually pull it up the lines. Alternatively, if you want to get "fancy", take an old bicycle, remove the rear tire from the rim, and turn the bike upside down. anchor the end of the rope to the bicycle's rear wheel, then hand turn the pedals and crank the line up onto the bike rim.
Something like that may be a viable option, actually. an old bicycle is easy to find and cheap, the PVC would be more than up to the job of hauling a gopro, and cranking it along with the bike pedals would be fairly smooth.
just thinking off the top of my head, but it seems like it would do the trick

Ian Newland May 8th, 2011 07:04 PM

These posts should help you out

GoProUser.freeforums.org • View topic - Cablecam for GoPro HD!!
GoProUser.freeforums.org • View topic - GoPro CableCam

Cheers Rambo

Mike Sims May 9th, 2011 08:00 AM

YouTube - Cablecam Gopro Hero HD Made in Cordoba.

CableCam.org - View topic - The Spanish proyect

Giroud Francois May 9th, 2011 08:22 AM

looks like we have a vertical path here.
If so your first problem will be to find something on the top to make your end point.
since you use a go pro, you could check for an helium balloon to gently lift the camera or just lift some light wire.

Vishal Jadhav May 9th, 2011 08:41 AM

Thanks folks
that was really helpful.

Will try and make one of those so that i have the shots i need.

in case anyone has a DIY let me know