Crocolis HD - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old January 17th, 2012, 11:22 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Crocolis HD

Well here's proof that my Extreme cam's waterproof - at least down to 2 metres. These three minutes were snipped out of about 30. Shot mainly in 720/50p for the greatest wide-angle (172 deg in air, so very nearly a FFFE - full frame fish eye).

The cam struggles in low light, and under water you must lose another 1½ stops or so. Footage looked underexposed and the GoPro did better in the same conditions. The 7.8mbps is borderline for fast action as you'll see. It's so-so hi-def, but clicking the 720 or 1080 buttons may make it look better your end.

The Well Done Team.mpg - YouTube
tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 08:38 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Just done a quick test between the Extreme cam and the Canon 60D with the Tokina 11 - 16 mm fitted. Shooting from the same position I notice both field of views are almost identical (apart from the barrel distortion, natch).
Attached Thumbnails
Crocolis HD-lens-comparison.jpg  
Old March 2nd, 2012, 06:33 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Another 3½ mins to show the Extreme cam's waterproof. This time I shot at 1440x1080/25p (for the best performance in low light) and bumped the EV by +1 stop in the menu because of shooting into the blue LED lighting. As the pool's a bit shallow I might have been better off using the 720/25p setting to get the wider field of view, but the low 5.6 mbps bit rate at that setting puts me off somewhat.

Tom & Sarah swim.m2t - YouTube

tom.
Old April 24th, 2012, 03:17 AM   #34
Inner Circle

I used the Extreme cam under water again this week. I wanted the best low light performance (the pool's hardly bright) and the widest field of view (the pool's hardly deep), so I set the camera to 720/25p. The resulting footage (action swimmer) is horribly staccato, but a plus point is that every frame is sharp so stills are easily lifted from the timeline. To restore fluidity to the finished film I simply imported the cam's footage into a 1280x720/50i timeline and let the computer invent the in-between frames.
Old April 24th, 2012, 06:25 AM   #35
Regular Crew

...compared to the average kiddy pool video this is very artistic. The blue lighting and bubbles add somewhat of a SloMo effect where the rest of the image is in realtime - like swimming in gelatin. Cool.

Jim
Jim Cancil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:56 AM   #36
Inner Circle

The Extreme cam is much more light-sensitive in its 25p modes but action footage can look a bit jerky and staccato at this low frame rate. So with this little 5 min film I shot at 1440x1080/25p and used +1 EV for the shots looking up from the bottom. Poolside shots were done mostly using a Panasonic SD900, the 20x zoom contrasting nicely with the Extreme cam's fixed super-wide.

I pulled all the footage into a 50' Edius timeline and let Edius 'invent' the in-between frames. It's smoothed the film out nicely.

tom.
Old May 21st, 2012, 01:13 PM   #37
New Boot

Crocolis HD ISSUE

Just wondered if anyone has seen this problem. I'm thinking it's a rolling shutter issue but not sure if the Croc is using a CMOS chip.

CROCOLIS HD CAM ISSUE - YouTube
Mark Pleasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 06:39 PM   #38
Major Player

Re: Crocolis HD ISSUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Pleasant View Post
Just wondered if anyone has seen this problem. I'm thinking it's a rolling shutter issue but not sure if the Croc is using a CMOS chip.

CROCOLIS HD CAM ISSUE - YouTube
High freq engine vibrations transmitted through the mount generally cause this especially if chassis mounted. Isolation is the only fix or use a CCD based camera.Vibration wise, body mount is the best place for a POV cam.
Ian Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 07:39 PM   #39
New Boot

You nailed it...Thanks!
Mark Pleasant is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems