DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Micro / POV Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/)
-   -   Indestructable GoPros (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/502226-indestructable-gopros.html)

Ian Newland November 1st, 2011 06:17 PM

Indestructable GoPros

5 Attachment(s)
I found this GoPro at a local MTB park. I found it sitting in a drainage ditch off of one of the trails. It has the skeleton case on it, and needless to say, it was FULL of water. As you will see in the flowing pics, it was sitting in water for a VERY long time. I brought it home, opened it up. Everything was rusty on the inside and still soaked in water. I disassembled it and let it dry out. I said to myself, there is no way this thing will ever work again. I was wrong. Not only was I able to charge the battery from the found camera using my good one, I lined up the battery pins and pressed the power button, BEEP BEEP BEEP. OK so it turned on, I pressed the shutter button and recorded some video (on the SD card that was in the submerged camera)... plugged it in and took a look. Other then being a bit blurry, it recorded audio and video... I am AMAZED that it even turned on. GoPro, you make an awesome product.

Gerald OConnor November 1st, 2011 08:11 PM

Re: Indestructable GoPros

Was there any cool video on the SD card when you found it ? Ordered a gopro2 should have had it today but we had 18 plus inches of snow over the weekend so no ups today.

Matt Sharp November 1st, 2011 11:11 PM

That's not a skeleton case, it's just the vented back door.

/semantics.

Seriously though, that's quite a feat!

Kevin Walsh November 2nd, 2011 08:12 AM

Love it! Why not contact GoPro and see if they will trade you for a new one?

Andrew Smith November 2nd, 2011 02:53 PM

They might even look up the serial number for it and see if the owner had registered it or not.

Andrew

PS. Bonus points if there is footage on the card of the GoPro being carried away by birds or something.

Ian Newland November 2nd, 2011 06:10 PM

Photos are now pinned up on GoPro's Office noticeboard.

Yes it's a vented back door thanks for the correction. It was actually found by one of our Gopro forum members. GoPro are shipping him a new lens free.

R

Helen Habib November 6th, 2011 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Smith (Post 1693411)
...PS. Bonus points if there is footage on the card of the GoPro being carried away by birds or something.

That video is PRICELESS. Thanks for that link!

Dan Passaro November 13th, 2011 04:21 PM

Pretty cool find :D

That skeleton housing = bad idea. There is one now for the hero2 that has the side cut out for the mic input. At least there is a reason for that lol.