VIO POV.HD Helmet Camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old November 29th, 2011, 01:00 PM   #1
Inner Circle

VIO POV.HD Helmet Camera

Anyone using this camera on jobs? I had one of their SD cameras a few years back and it was very nice. Be interested on input from owners prior to buying their HD version. Some nice discounts now.
Old November 30th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: VIO POV.HD Helmet Camera

Hum, surprised no one has used this camera. Well I just ordered one with their $100 discount till the end of the year. I also have 4 GoPro and 1 Contour. Interested to see which work best in different situations.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 10:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm actually REALLY interested in this camera. I'm going to be filming some training video's in the spring for a sail maker and they want to get some Mast head footage looking down on the sail and crew. Most people use a GoPro for this, but when you run out of batteries or memory you have to drop the mast and reload. My thought, is with this camera all the guts are remote from the optics so if I buy some extension cables (once they come out for the HD cam, I can keep the recorder in the boat and change batteries and cards as needed without even going to shore. Another thing I'm looking for is finding a camera with very little if any fisheye. That really distorts the sail shape which is a large reason for the footage. I'm REALLY interested to see what you think of this camera. And would love to see some of your work with it.
Paul Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2011, 08:09 AM   #4
Inner Circle

HI Paul,

Interesting the sailmaker wants video of the dinghy sails not stills that they can digitize.

Not sure how much distortion there will be but i am told less then the GoPro's.

I have not sent an email on the extension cable but I will check and see what they say. Did you have a response from them on the timing?
Old December 3rd, 2011, 04:23 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I actually had emailed them before seeing this thread. They said the cables are in the works but the best they could tell me on time frame was to keep an eye on their website :-P With regards to the sailmaker... it's for tuning training, not sail making. They have a kick Butt still rig they use for that which takes a series of photo's at set intervals. My project isn't going to be till spring or summer... Water's going to start to get hard around here.
Paul Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2011, 04:25 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I have one.

Exposure adjustments happen in sudden steps. Same with color balance. I'd like to see something a whole lot smoother like the Replay 1080XD.

Would be nice to "lock" white balance, too.

But the big advantage: seeing what the camera is seeing via an LCD monitor. That's it's biggest and best feature.
Old December 4th, 2011, 07:51 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Thanks Dean,

I did notice the sudden jumps in exposure & WB and would not use that part of clips.

Agree it would be nice to lock WB. Who knows maybe they are open to input lets find out? I will write them and if we all did who knows a firmware could improve the camera.

I look forward to the extension cable and also sent them a note yesterday.

Paul,
Sounds like a fun project with the sailmaker. Mine will be use filing boat reviews and on my Quest 30 during single handed and double handed ocean racing. I used my old SD one when coaching sailing for different countries Olympic teams. Great tool along with a nice camera on my shoulder. Will be interested to see the quality compared to the GoPro and Contour. I have the screens on the back of the GoPros which helps framing.
Old December 5th, 2011, 01:40 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I've used both cameras. less distortion on POV cam but a flat port on Go Pro gives less too.
Batteries on all these little cams is a problem. Lead on recorder isn't huge, certainly not mast length. Buy & Try. Great pics on both cams.
Pete Constable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 08:03 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Thanks for the input Peter,

I have one on the way so I will be used along side the GoPro and Contour so I will see over a few jobs which I like best.

There will be a 3.5 meter extension cable soon I am told.
Old December 5th, 2011, 09:32 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi Paul,

Do you have the Contour or the Contour+? I recently got a Contour+ and I'm interested in any comparisons with the other POV cams.
Denise Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
Thanks for the input Peter,

I have one on the way so I will be used along side the GoPro and Contour so I will see over a few jobs which I like best.

There will be a 3.5 meter extension cable soon I am told.
Thanx Paul. I will keep an eye out for the lead. Will be very handy, Pete
Pete Constable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Hi Denies,

I have the 720p version that I have used for a couple of years. Very nice picture and it makes me want to try their 1080p. Also have their water proof case.
Old January 9th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #13
Major Player

It's been a month since the last post. I'm really curious about this POV.HD too. Is its visual quality about the same as the other small pov cameras? The 4 AA batteries can be a plus for many situations (like shooting overseas where carrying extra chargers and converters, or simply finding an electrical outlet in the first place, can be a major obstacle). Nice to be able to lock in exposures, for sure. Lots of mounting options too.
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #14
Major Player

The single best thing about the previous model was it was CCD based. No Jello.
Ian Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 04:09 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Sorry for the delay I am flat out.

So far I am not very impressed with the VIO POV HD. The picture is about the same as GoPro and transfer to FCP is not as easy.

In two weeks we are giving the camera a try as one of our POV on a upcoming shoot. I will have more info at that time.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems