DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Micro / POV Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/)
-   -   Hero 3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/505447-hero-3-a.html)

Lynne Whelden February 21st, 2012 08:43 PM

Hero 3

Not to get your hopes up but has anyone heard anything more about a more professional version of the Hero?
The reason I'm wondering is whether I should pull the trigger on a Hero 2 now or wait until summer when some of my complaints may have been addressed.

Matt Sharp February 21st, 2012 10:41 PM

Re: Hero 3

The Hero 3 won't be out for at least a year. The HD Hero was released in late 2009 and the HD Hero2 in fall of last year, that's 2 years between them.

If audio is your big holdup (most likely, as GoPro audio is terrible even with the open back) I'd suggest an omni lav to a separate recorder or into the gopro if you're ok with AGC.

Lynne Whelden February 22nd, 2012 06:53 AM

Hmmmm...so the "summer 2012" rumor wasn't accurate.

However, if the rumor is true about this one having "professional" features, then the time table between consumer versions 1 and 2 don't apply.

There's still hope!

Lynne Whelden March 5th, 2012 01:32 PM

I'm thinking maybe NAB will be when the prototype Hero 3 model is unveiled.

Granted, GoPro knows there's not much of a call for a better Hero. Most folks are content with the present performance, since it's being used as a camera to capture a few minutes of some extreme sport where the action is the storyline, not the quality of the image.

Given that fact, the Hero 3 will probably have to cost twice or three times the #2 to justify its R&R. But hopefully, there will be enough hi-end production folks who will still see a sub-$1000 wearable high-quality camera a justifiable expense.

Lynne Whelden March 7th, 2012 07:08 AM

2012 NAB Show: GoPro: GoPro CineForm Studio

In one month we'll know...

Ian Newland March 7th, 2012 06:16 PM

They have nothing new to show other than wifi, a flat lens fix and a new duel wall charger released yesterday. No new cams at NAB i'm afraid.

R

Don Litten March 14th, 2012 02:02 PM

Lynn, I wouldn't bothering to wait. The HD2 does a darn good job at what it's intended to do. POV's won't replace DSLR's and DSLR's won't replace Camcorders. Everything has it's place.

As far as knowing what's in the works with GoPo ,(and many other things) you can take what Ian says to the bank!

Ian Newland April 16th, 2012 04:11 PM

Nothing new at NAB, but they have developed a new Pro Model GoPro for the future.
New GoPro camera features incl. 35 Mb H264, and cinestyle flat look for grading .I doubt we will see a new camera till 2013 though. Only this FW upgrade for the HD2.
ProTune FW: triple bit-rate, flat color, no in-camera sharpening/de-noise/etc, 24p.

NAB Show 2012: New GoPro Features Cater To Pro Content Creation - Filmtools.tv - YouTube