Wifi back pack and remote ?? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old July 16th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Wifi back pack and remote ??

I bought the wifi kit and gotta say even though it only works 75% since the app isn't out yet the remote is nice... i recently was on a trip where i had the go pro mounted on the back of a car but the problem was we were in a caravan on a 2 hour stretch i wanted to get video at different points during the trip. with out the remote i would have had to stop when ever i wanted to get video with the remote i could do it all from my seat. I cant wait for them to come out with the app
Tom Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 03:37 AM   #17
Inner Circle

The remote will be valuable for me, even if I can't yet monitor the output remotely.

For example, I can have one on the "fly bridge" of a boat as well as another covering the "cockpit" area while I get footage with my handheld. The WiFi remote will allow me to know when the batteries are ready to be changed with either camera at a glance. And I will be able to trigger the flybridge camera without having to climb the ladder to get there.

It'll also help with filming kayak fishermen from a chase boat. Again, I'll know the battery status, and be able to trigger the camera from much farther away than we'd normally be.

Can't do that with any other camera that I know of.

Prior to this I had to rely on someone else to let me know. This way I can be less obtrusive and be assured of getting the additional coverage.
Old July 17th, 2012, 01:09 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Found this on Gopros website today GoPro App 1.0 is expected to be released late August.

Features available upon release:

Operate and control your GoPro HD HERO2 camera on your smartphone or tablet
See exactly what your camera is filming in real time - frame your footage exactly the way you want
The GoPro app provides instant remote access to your camera’s control settings and features
Monitor your HD HERO2 camera’s mode, resolution, frame rate setting, memory card capacity, battery life and Wi-Fi signal strength

Upcoming features in future GoPro App releases:

Access all content on your camera's SD card for preview, browsing, and file management
Multi-camera control
File sharing and live streaming to the cloud

Compatibility:

The GoPro app will be compatible with most smartphones and tablets:

iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S (iOS 4.3 & 5)
iPod Touch 4 (iOS 4.3 & 5)
iPad 1, 2 & 3 (iOS 4.3 & 5)
HTC Thunderbolt or other Android 2.2 devices
Motorola Droid X or other Android 2.2 devices
Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G or other Android 4.0 devices
Samsung Galaxy Tablet or other Android 3.1 devices
Old August 11th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Well Gopro is continuing its disappointing release of the wifi app the web site now just says Fall 2012...
Old October 12th, 2012, 03:40 AM   #20
Trustee

Just got a WiFi BacPac. Discovered that the recognition of the BacPac and the remote only occur via USB2 not USB3...wondered why nothing was appearing, so decided to switch plugs...and they appeared da da...
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 03:55 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Hi Renton

I was about to get one too but I also found out that due to the high bitrate of ProTune there is not enough processor memory left to be able to update the WiFi display ??? That's sounds a bit crazy to me???

Does that mean that it won't work in ProTune or it updates very slowly or what???? So far ProTune at weddings hasn't overly impressed me anyway so I would be happy to run in normal mode but I don't want to have to buy an Apple tablet just to get it to work!!! Andriod are much cheaper

Keep us up to date??? I don't want to have to have a fancy wifi and no app for it!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 04:11 AM   #22
Trustee

Hi Chris

Well the Android App is not available yet but Ian on the Protune thread said it was almost here.

I don't understand all this stuff about protune and supposed advantages, and don't see how I would be helped by using it, so why do so? I imagine the control of the camera by the remote will be useful on occasions but will be interested to see how the android app goes...

I probably didn't need it but...
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 05:04 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Hi Renton

I probably don't need it either but....me too!! However at weddings I have a Hero on a light stand so being able to control it via remote would be very neat!!

I shot a wedding in Protune today..it didn't look much different to the normal, I must admit but it certainly eats up recording time..a 16GB card lasts only 40 mins!!!!

The GoPro website says that the app supports both Apple and Android 4 ..I guess they haven't released the Android app yet??? Problem is that you buy the WiFi and the app eventually only arrives in April 2013!!

Guess the remote might be useful??? I dropped my Android 4 tablet this week so it's a goner..just funny colours on the screen so that was a 10" one..I think a 7" one just might be more portable??

Chris
Old October 12th, 2012, 06:28 AM   #24
Major Player

These guys seem to have worked out how to get Android functionality plus streaming before the official version is available:

GoProUser.freeforums.org • View topic - Howto Livestream to PC and view files on PC/Smartphone!

I'm going to wait since apparently the Android App is only about 10 days away and I only have two weddings in that period.

The Ipad App works fine for me but the Ipad is to large for my liking for weddings. The Samsung Galaxy SIII - now thats another matter and should be great.

Renton, ProTune's main advantage in normal lighting conditions would simply be a better result for fast moving subjects. For wedding purposes it should really come into its own when the lighting is low and less than ideal as you will have that much more data to push around. Apparently you can view the same "ProTune" clips both as "Flat" and as "Processed" using Cineform (I haven't tried it yet). In other words you can see the footage as shot with the ProTune flat profile and then flick over to see how it would appear had you used the original profile with in-camera processing. The ProTune flat profile should make it much easier to match other cams in multi-cam editing - which I do in Vegas Pro.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 07:49 AM   #25
Inner Circle

You have a good point Peter!
You don't really want to lug around two cameras and try to juggle a 10" tablet..My Smartphone is in my pocket anyway so that would be a logical thing to use. I really only want it for framing anyway. At the moment I have to plug in a monitor BUT I still have to lower the light stand to start the camera as it's 8' high and then try to raise it without moving/turning it. The remote control will work a treat here!!

Yeah I can wait 10 days or so..I have a wedding the next 3 weekends so I'll do it the manual way until the app arrives!! Would the app be on Google Apps ???? Any idea??

Chris
Old October 12th, 2012, 09:25 AM   #26
Major Player

Yes Chris the Android App is expected in the Google Play store. There is also a greyed out icon ready for clicking through to it on the main GoPro website.

Pete
Old October 26th, 2012, 06:52 AM   #27
Major Player

No sign of the Android version as yet ..... no surprises there :- (

But there is a working App that I have installed and used with the Hero 2.

Search the Google Play Store for RemoteGo. Its free. It needs another App called Vplayer which is £5.

I've installed it on my Galaxy S3 and its working fine. Hugely convenient for framing etc and no more of that awkward cycling through the menus on the device itself.

RemoteGo and Vplayer do run separately whereas on my Ipad3 everything is of course integrated via the official Gopro App but thats no big problem.

Vplayer seems quirky. I played some existing videos on it and had the audio out of sync with the video. So I won't be using that as a default video player :- )

Pete
Old October 26th, 2012, 07:19 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Thanks Peter

I had an issue with my remote..it failed the update and there was no way to reload the update thru Cineform so support told me to return the kit and there is a new one on the way.

While I had contact with the support guys I asked about the official Android App which was supposed to be already out (the quoted 10 days was gone already) and he said "a couple of weeks" which could mean anything from mid November to next year!!

So if you want to frame the video on your phone, do you run both apps at the same time or can you just frame with the Vplayer....I normally only need to do an initial frame set up and then I will just use the Hero remote to stop the camera at the end of the ceremony.

I normally forget about the GoPro so it only gets turned off when I go back in the Church to collect the main camera so I have lots of footage of an empty Church!!

Chris
Old October 26th, 2012, 07:43 AM   #29
Major Player

I suspect that we won't now see the Android version until the official Hero 3 version which apparently is due "winter 2012". Seems that Hero 3's have been shipping without user manuals as well, so Gopro's policy appears to be to get products out the door and earning for them before all the loose ends are tied up. I can live with that but it must be frustrating for new users who just buy one off the shelf in Walmart.

The RemotGo App has a button on the touch screen which takes you straight to Vplayer where you then see the preview. It doesn't in the process shut down RemoteGo so you can toggle between the two no problem. Very usable.

I haven't tried using it in conjunction with the Gopro remote as yet. To be honest I'm nevous about having the remote around me when juggling all the other wedding stuff in case I accidentally change something just by pressure on it. Also its battery life may be short, I'm not sure.

As with yourself I'm only really interested in initial framing and composition, and maybe the occasional check to ensure a guest has not jogged it off target. Not bothered about streaming. There is the slight delay in the preview updating as with the official Ios6 App.

I used the Ipad version for the first time a few days ago. The rings were being deliveed by hawk so it was vital to get the framing correct and the App is ideal for that. However it was a real pain to have to handle then stash the Ipad rather than a much smaller smartphone.

I plan to use Protune for all shooting so the days of just leaving the Gopro to do its own thing are probably numbered. ... too big file sizes. I'll probably stop and restart several times, including taking high resolution stills using RemoteGo.

Pete
Old October 26th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #30
Inner Circle

I was playing around with two of my GoPro Hero 2 cameras and discovered that I can control only one camera via WiFi and an iPhone. I'll have to try to see if it will link to more than one camera like a "switcher".

The iPhone has to "logon" to a GoPro's specific WiFi connection, and each GoPro will have a unique WiFi ID. To switch to another GoPro you have to get into the iPhone's WiFi setup and switch from one camera to the next.

The WiFi app is handy for initial setup. It will allow you to see what the camera's framing. There's a five-second delay so it won't give you a real-time feed. You can also use the WiFi line to set date and time and other parameters of the camera, much more easily than using the two buttons on the GoPro.

If you want to be able to quickly start and stop multiple GoPros via WiFi you'll have to do it with the GoPro remotes. To operate each camera independenly requires multiple remotes.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems