DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Micro / POV Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/)
-   -   Wifi back pack and remote ?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/506933-wifi-back-pack-remote.html)

Doug Puckett April 14th, 2012 07:16 PM

Wifi back pack and remote ??

Just got home with my Hero2. Haven't even unpacked it yet, but I have thousands of potential uses for it in my head .

What Im really interested is the wifi/remote add on.
GoPro Wi-Fi BacPac & Remote

I emailed gopro and even though their website says "April 2012" the only thing they would commit to is "EARLY" 2012.

Who else is looking forward to this?

Warren Kawamoto April 15th, 2012 11:13 AM

Re: Wifi back pack and remote ??

I'm looking forward to being able to hang it at the end of a long pole and being able to monitor what's being shot as I swing the pole around! DIY jib...lol

Tom Miller April 20th, 2012 08:30 AM

yeah ive been waiting for it to I like the featured record button when im racing and i have it on my helmet i want to make sure its recording . plus the preview screen would be awesome. They started saying it would be released in feb.

Ray Bell April 23rd, 2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto (Post 1727257)
I'm looking forward to being able to hang it at the end of a long pole and being able to monitor what's being shot as I swing the pole around! DIY jib...lol

Was just talking with the wife on this subject last night...

Kin Lau April 23rd, 2012 09:41 PM

The message has been now updated to Summer 2012.

Corey Graham June 24th, 2012 10:03 AM

I just picked up the Wifi Combo kit (BacPac and Remote). However, firmware updates are required, and that process is highly buggy. I can't even use it yet, as I'm in conversation with tech support about how to get the firmware update to happen. Frustrated.

Corey Graham June 24th, 2012 11:25 AM

Oh, and how about this ... the more I read about the Wifi/Remote, the more upset I get. As of now, the only things you get out of the box with this are: 1) the ability to operate the shutter remotely, and 2) the ability to see the LCD info on the remote itself. That's it. No smartphone/tablet app for viewing and control, no bluetooth, no streaming. The exact reasons I bought this in the first place!

I'm extremely upset with GoPro right now. They promise all of this right on the packaging. What kind of company is this? They just got $99 out of me for the ability to start/stop recording remotely. What a ripoff!

Chris Harding June 24th, 2012 06:49 PM

Hi Corey

I am using a slighly simply approach and just have a cable that plugs into a remote monitor. It's very easy to rig up and I can also use the montior on other cameras too!! I'm also not very confident about WiFi and decent connectivity after owning a Quadracoper (which the GoPro was going to ride on) and it spent more time on the ground than in the air!!

Maybe just take the WiFi back to Target and get a refund from them and then make up a little monitor cable. My Hero is on a light stand high up and the LCD back is useless so I just dangle the cable down the stand and plug into a 7" car LCD monitor so I can see what the camera is seeing. It's also neat to use the same monitor on my HMC cams too!!

Chris

Mark Watson June 24th, 2012 07:03 PM

From their web-site, "NOTE: A product update is REQUIRED before using your Wi-Fi BacPac or Remote. Click HERE for a free update download. The original HD HERO is only compatible with the Wi-Fi Remote. The original HD HERO does not support the GoPro App, video + photo preview / playback, or live streaming. Live video streaming to the web is available for the HD HERO2 with a free future downloadable product update."

If you don't have the HD HERO2, you're SOL.

Corey Graham June 24th, 2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1739995)
Hi Corey

I am using a slighly simply approach and just have a cable that plugs into a remote monitor. It's very easy to rig up and I can also use the montior on other cameras too!! I'm also not very confident about WiFi and decent connectivity after owning a Quadracoper (which the GoPro was going to ride on) and it spent more time on the ground than in the air!!

Maybe just take the WiFi back to Target and get a refund from them and then make up a little monitor cable. My Hero is on a light stand high up and the LCD back is useless so I just dangle the cable down the stand and plug into a 7" car LCD monitor so I can see what the camera is seeing. It's also neat to use the same monitor on my HMC cams too!!

Chris

Hi Chris!

I'm definitivly lookling into returning the Wifi combo and investing into what you've recommended. I just felt so technological with the smartphone/tablet integration, it's sad that they haven't event delivered on it yet! :)

I am absolutely returning the Wifi-remote and getting a more economical monitor.

Thank you sir!

Chris Harding June 24th, 2012 10:22 PM

Hi Corey

I must admit it would be neat to be able to grab your phone and be able to monitor the video from the camera up in the air...hope they get it right! I wonder if there is any restrictions or will there be an app for Android phones too??? If you go the cable route you need a 2.5mm 4 pole jack plug and the video out are the last two rings of the plug shaft closest to the cover..the top ring and tip are audio out. I just have an RCA plug on the other end that plugs into the monitor ...the resolution isn't good but it's fine for framing!

BTW: Love the samples on your website ...were those all shot with the HMC40??? I automatically have an interest as I have been shooting on the HMC80 for two years now and love the camera!

Chris

Corey Graham June 25th, 2012 08:38 AM

Thanks Chris. I guess now I'll need the $39 skeleton housing for the GoPro (that's one expensive piece of plastic), and a monitor of some sort. I think I may be able to use my Galaxy Tab, if there's a way to adapt it for video input.

Thank you for the compliments about my samples! Actually, most of what you see was shot on the GH1. There is also a little HMC40 in there too, but most of the "eye candy" comes from the GH1.

Chris Harding June 26th, 2012 01:03 AM

Great Corey

Let me know if you get the WiFi to work on your tablet?? I suspect you might need an app to work it. With my quadracopter I has no problems getting video on my Android phone from the WiFi connection.

I have a GH1 actually somewhere over the Pacific at present that my buddy Chip bought for me in the USA and put in the hacked formware so it shoots at a good bitrate and is PAL switchable too!!!

What lenses do you find useful ...the footage certainly mixes in nicely with the 40's too!!

UPDATE: GoPro say that the App will support Android devices from OS version 2.2 or newer ...Good!! My phone uses a 2.3 OS!! BUT the app is marked as (Coming Soon)

Chris

Corey Graham June 26th, 2012 04:53 AM

I returned the WiFi and Remote yesterday. The staff at Best Buy seemed baffled that most of the claims on the box are 100% false. In exchange, I picked up the battery backpack and some additional mounts.

Chris: I'm actually not looking to use the Galaxy Tab with wifi . . . I'm trying to see whether I could run a composite/HDMI into it from the GoPro, to use the tablet as a field monitor. That would be really sweet, but I'm not sure the Tab is capable of video input.

Chris Harding June 26th, 2012 07:49 AM

Hi Corey

That would be sweet as it's a hi res display on most tablets!! I'm using a plain ole 7" LCD low res monitor that you find in car headrests so the kids can watch DVD's..it gives a good enough image to allow accurate framing of the Gopro and I guess I shouldn't expect an awful lot from a $30 monitor!! I also have the same monitor on my stedicam sled so I can power the portable one using the same CCTV 12v battery ..the portable one also has a cold shoe mount on it and inside Churches it allows me to see the framing on my static aisle camera from a distance. My system isn't very technically smart but it does work!!

Yeah I'm a mounts junkie on the Hero as well..my tiny camera has a huge aluminium case so everything fits in!! I find the handlebar mount is really useful to put the camera on a lighting stand.

Chris