GoPro Protune - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old October 7th, 2012, 07:03 AM   #46
Major Player

Re: GoPro Protune

Given there's nothing but rumors to grab onto, I'm tending to lean on the one that says a Hero 3 is in the works. At least that's a double blessing. At this stage, why not go for the gusto!
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 08:46 AM   #47
Inner Circle

I have a bunch of Hero1 cameras then bought a bunch of Hero2 specifically for the tunable options that were promised. If I have to dump my current hardware to get what was already promised they will have lost me as a customer.
Old October 7th, 2012, 03:06 PM   #48
Ruler of the DownUnder UnderWorld

Sounds like they must be having problems with the firmware.
The footage at 15mbps is horrible, bet they did not use that birate for their demo videos lol
And the different shooting FOV options is just cropping the sensor.
At the narrow FOV the quality is useless.
Might as well just shoot wide and do it on the NLE. :-)
Paul Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #49
Major Player

GoPro ProTune firmware went "live" today but unfortunately only an option for HD2. Also the iPhone App is available as well.

Update your HD2 camera firmware via Cineform Studio to get ProTune and if required, Download the App from iTunes thru your iPhone for remote control and preview functionality via the wiFi bacpac.

Enable ProTune under settings/ more menu.

US site: GoPro App for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
Aus Site GoPro App for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad on the iTunes App Store
Ian Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #50
Major Player

In other news, pigs have developed wings and escaped their farmer overloads. This and other news tonight at 11. /hellhasfrozenover.
Attached Thumbnails
GoPro Protune-dsc08659.jpg  
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #51
Inner Circle

Hi Ian

Thanks for that!! I'm wondering if there is also a direct link to the new firmware. On the last one Cineform just didn't work at all and kept giving errors and I think you were the one that provided a simple link to GoPro's server which worked perfectly and we all were updated in minutes.

Anyone tried it vis Cineform yet???

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #52
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Ian

Thanks for that!! I'm wondering if there is also a direct link to the new firmware. On the last one Cineform just didn't work at all and kept giving errors and I think you were the one that provided a simple link to GoPro's server which worked perfectly and we all were updated in minutes.

Anyone tried it vis Cineform yet???

Chris
The direct FW download off GoPros server ( not thru Cineform Studio) is untested yet, it might involve the Bacpac so I would hold off on the direct DL for now. The updates work thru Cineform Studio, preview App works, so does Protune. Needs more detailed testing, time will tell.
Old October 8th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #53
Regular Crew

Over all the app is OK but not perfect they need to make a big improvement in the latency issue there's about a 5 second delay. I haven't fully tested pro tune but it seems nice
Tom Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #54
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Miller View Post
Over all the app is OK but not perfect they need to make a big improvement in the latency issue there's about a 5 second delay. I haven't fully tested pro tune but it seems nice
Latency isn't all that important in a preview device for framing etc which is really what this feature was intended for, not likely this will improve in a device at this price point. There are reports of between 2 and 5 seconds, average seems to be around 2-3.
Old October 8th, 2012, 07:07 PM   #55
Regular Crew

I think it will be improved it time.. the one thing I really like is the set up menu its super easy to change settings no more clicking through menus on the go pro
Tom Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #56
Regular Crew

Awesome! My software updated on Saturday I believe, but it didn’t show a firmware update. I had just been telling the Bestbuy guy about the big delay on it Saturday. Amazing coincidence!

Can’t wait to get out and get some video and see what it looks like. My 32 meg card still shows nearly 3 hours of time – down from just over 4. I was wondering what it would do to capacity.

I turned on Protune – is that all that is needed for the higher bitrate? 35 mbs?
Jason Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #57
Ruler of the DownUnder UnderWorld

O yeh now blue skys are much better :-)
I wonder why you have to download and install Cineform Studio to install the update.
Cheers....
Paul Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2012, 01:56 AM   #58
Inner Circle

Hi Guys

Mine seems to work OK too...when you update DON'T update your frame rate etc etc cos Protune is off by default!! Run thru the menu and ignore all settings until you get to ProTune and turn it on, then go back to the start and set frame rates, angles etc etc.

Thanks to my mate Philip for pointing this out!!! My Hero with a 32GB card gives me 1hr14mins of record time but Philip says he only gets 41 mins??? I'm set at 1080 25P and medium FOV.

Gotta give the cam a try now!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2012, 02:20 AM   #59
Major Player

Chris, the direct server update worked fine.. For Manual firmware updating WITHOUT Cineform Studio of the HD2 camera with SD card use this download link.

http://software.gopro.com/Firmware/HD2/HD2-firmware.bin
Old October 9th, 2012, 02:28 AM   #60
Inner Circle

Thanks Ian

Actually it worked fine on Cineform too!! The image is rather good too..I just ran around the house and then annoyed the wife and the cat to test it out and I'm happy.

I have a wedding shoot this Friday and Saturday so I see how it behaves at an outdoor and a Church wedding all in one weekend.

I think the direct link always seems to work better ... looks like a worthwhile firmware update

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems