GoPro Fogging Issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old May 7th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GoPro Fogging Issues

Does anybody have any better ideas for solving my fogging issues with my GoPro Hero 2? I've read the GoPro support questions and have read their solution. They say if using the closed back to put in the anti fog inserts which I've done and it still fogs up. They say to close the camera in the case in a "dry" environment. This problem happened over the weekend at a race track where it was humid and I couldn't find a "dry" environment. When the cars left the paddock the camera starts out good and then starts to fog worse and worse as the car gets up to speed out on the track. I assume this happens because the moving air is cooler than the humid air trapped in the case which causes condensation inside. If I leave the case open until the car is going to go out and then place the camera into the case do you think this would solve the problem? Any help would be appreciated.
John Dimasii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 11:10 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: GoPro Fogging Issues

Hi John

Are you sure it's fogging and not simply the change in light angle as the day goes on??? The Hero's have a big issue with flare ...at weddings I often notice that the footage gradually becomes foggy but it's simply the fact that the angle of light has changed and I'm getting flare...especially over reflective surfaces!!!

I would first check and see if the case is physically misted up after a while... then take steps to rectify it.

Unless it's pouring with rain, a skeleton housing is a useful addition!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 01:40 AM   #3
Trustee

I also had issues with the dome fogging up from the inside here in humid Hawaii. I had a GoPro2 mounted on the front of my van. I was documenting the roadway on a farm. The shoot was about an hour long. As I drove, the camera heated up and fogged the inside of the dome. I had the skeleton back on, and didn't think it would fog up with the wind blowing through, but it sure did! When I saw that it was fogging up, I took the camera out and blew on the inside of the dome, which dissipated the moisture. I put the camera back in, and continued to shoot but it fogged up again!

On another shoot, I had the GoPro2 indoors, on a tall light stand. The heat of the camera again caused fogging on the inside of the dome with the skeleton back. It definitely was not lens flare as I could see the fog getting worse and worse by the minute! Attached are before and after photos. My remedy now is to shoot without the housing if possible. I put a small strip of adhesive-backed velcro on top and bottom of the camera, and use those as mounting points.
Attached Thumbnails
GoPro Fogging Issues-gopro-farm.jpg   GoPro Fogging Issues-gopro-play.jpg  

Last edited by Warren Kawamoto; May 8th, 2012 at 02:16 AM.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 05:35 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Warren

I'm sad to say that your images and mine from the wedding on Saturday look very similar!! I have an idea that mine is not flare but indeed fogging too!!! The previous Saturday I did a rainy wedding, but indoors and the footage was perfect..but last Saturday it was overcast and quite humid (it had been raining in the morning) and my footage looked like flare on the right top corner as there was a river behind the ceremony but as the ceremony progressed it now does look like fogging!!!

Shucks!!! that's not good!!! I was using the waterproof housing too!! I have a skeleton housing so I'm thinking now why not drill some nice big holes in the top of the housing to allow the heat to escape....heat rises so I figure top holes (and some bottom ones to let the cool air in might be a solution.

What do you think???

Chris
Old May 8th, 2012, 06:17 AM   #5
Inner Circle

That's what you need to do Chris - let the air circulate. The GoPro heats up as it runs and CMOS is known for this - look at Panasonic's 900 that has resorted to having a fan running at all times.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:10 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks Tom

I'll attack it with my drill and zap a few 8mm holes top and bottom...the sides are already open. We are getting close to Winter now and the rainy season has started so condensation forms easily...the Church ceremony I did in mid April was a dry sunny day and the camera ran inside the Church for nearly 1.5 hours with no issues at all.

John??? Ignore my flare diagnosis I think you had better grab a skeleton housing and put some holes in it too...they are pretty cheap!!

I only have two more weddings until our season ends and they could quite likely be damp but I might have to use the Hero for other shoots so it's a worthwhile mod.

An interesting question is : Why doesn't the underwater housing fog up with cold water outside and a warm camera inside ..I take my underwater now and again but then again the actual duration is much shorter!!

Chris
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:27 AM   #7
Inner Circle

My Extreme cam is waterproof without the need for an external housing, though it uses a big-headed screw as its CMOS heat-sink. Never had misting problems with its little protective front glass.
Attached Thumbnails
GoPro Fogging Issues-heat-sink-screw.jpg  
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:57 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
I have a skeleton housing so I'm thinking now why not drill some nice big holes in the top of the housing to allow the heat to escape....heat rises so I figure top holes (and some bottom ones to let the cool air in might be a solution.

What do you think???

Chris
My solution has been to not use the housing at all. Doing so completely eliminates the problem. However, if you need to mount the camera using the housing, wouldn't it better to just temporarily remove the front dome (using a jeweler's screwdriver) and replace it when needed for underwater shots? Drilling holes in the housing forces you to buy another one if you need underwater shots in the future. The housing is cheap, but just temporarily removing the front dome is free!
Old May 8th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Thanks Warren

I have two housings!! One is my underwater housing and one is my skeleton housing for indoor and general usage....I can easily take off my dome if it helps...

Have you seen what actually fogs up?? Is it the dome itself or does the housing start to fog and then extend into the dome???

Maybe take off the dome and also zap a few extra "cooling holes" top and bottom!!

Chris
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:03 PM   #10
Trustee

Chris,
Yes, I've seen condensation form in the front dome. It will begin as a little patch, then grow until almost the entire glass area is covered. Even with the skeleton back on, I'm guessing that the camera fits so tightly into the housing that the dome area cannot air out. Hence, the fog!

One thing that I haven't tried yet is putting RainX on the INSIDE of the glass dome to see if that helps any.
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I used this setup ( with the underwater housing with full cover rear door and anti fog strips) on Friday and Saturday with no troubles. I did remove the camera from the housing between practice sessions. On Sunday I attached this full kit above, to the car in the morning and left under a shaded tent until afternoon race. That's when my trouble began. Maybe you have to leave the case open until your just about to use it so that the inside temp equals the outside temp. I do have a skeleton housing but don't want to use it because of the wind noise killing the sound quality. Maybe a call to Gropro is in order .
Old May 9th, 2012, 12:57 AM   #12
Major Player

John, a 1min blast of dry air-conditioned air either from a car vent or building aircon will fix the issue with a waterproof housing.

Hold the open case in front of the vent and the camera (separately) for 1 min, let the air circulate inside the SD slot and battery compartment (open slightly), then assemble and close while still in front of the vent (6'' away). Don't open until filming job is finished and keep in cool place out of the sun till ready to start filming.

One other thing, use dry hands, as sweat will vaporize into fog as well.

This has worked for me in both HD1 and HD2 cameras under all conditions, it's simple science, based on dew point. Google it.

If your still worried, place some kitchen tissue paper towel squares in the space between the camera and the housing at the side and bottom.
Ian Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Ian,
I will have to try this with my car AC next time I'm at the race track. This seems like a great idea. Thanks!
Old May 10th, 2012, 12:03 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Thanks Ian

That's worth knowing ... I wonder if some "canned air" would also work??? Would that be dry ???

That might be convenient at weddings where the car is a long way off!!!

Can you see any issues shooting with the front dome removed if I am inside a Church??? I have a wedding on Saturday but then again we are forecast a really nice warm day so I probably won't have any issues.

Chris
Old May 10th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #15
Major Player

RainX and RainX Anti Fog, plus inserts, usually works for me.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems