GoPro Dive Housing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old May 22nd, 2012, 08:09 AM   #1
Trustee

GoPro Dive Housing

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at adding the new dive housing to my GoPro kit, and wondering if will work underwater only or if it will be able to shoot clear, sharp footage above the water as well. There's times when shooting surfing where I want to shoot underwater, but I don't want to have to swim ashore, change housings, then swim out again just for the sake of a single clip or two.

Being a flat port, I don't see why the new housing would effect image quality/sharpness above water, but then again I don't have a whole lot of experience with underwater housings.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 12:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: GoPro Dive Housing

I have a 3rd party flat port housing and it's sharp under the water or above. I don't use it above because its easily scratched, but sharpness isn't an issue.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 08:41 PM   #3
Trustee

Good to know! I figured that the flat port design would work as well above or below water becuase it it really no different than having your GoPro naked and shooting through a window, but there's nothing at all I've read so far about the Dive housing that says it would work both above and below water.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 02:55 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Here is a roundup of available housings for underwater use with GoPro:

GoPro underwater housing round-up :: Wetpixel.com

Depending on what you want to do and how you want to shoot, each of those housings have plus and minuses.
Drew Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 04:37 PM   #5
Trustee

Thanks Drew.

I think GoPro's own housing is definitely the best - and cheapest - option for me. I won't use filters because I'll be shooting above the water as well, and underwater I'll never be more that a few feet deep so colour temperature shouldn't be too much of an issue.
John Wiley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems