DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Micro / POV Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/)
-   -   Sneak Peek at Sony POV (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/508891-sneak-peek-sony-pov.html)

Tom Gresham August 30th, 2012 03:53 PM

Re: Sneak Peek at Sony POV

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Sharp (Post 1750652)
At about 1:30 into Engadget's hands on you can see them using a phone as a viewfinder. They mention being able to change settings also.

Sony's tiny ruggedized Action Cam gets official with 16MP Exmor R, WiFi, $199+ price tag (hands-on) -- Engadget

Story says it has a "fixed zoom.". Well, which is it?

Matt Sharp August 30th, 2012 04:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
It's fixed at 2.5mm. 35mm equiv. is 15.3 and 21.3 with steadyshot on.

Interesting that it takes both G and X series batteries. It's not mentioned anywhere on the Sony store spec page or in the press release but the side of the camera is labeled with both X and G in addition to some photos showing both.

Mark Williams August 30th, 2012 04:52 PM

Here are the bit rates from Sony HD Action Camcorder | Action Cam with Wi-Fi | HDR-AS15/B | Sony USA

"Movie Recording Rate(Average Bit Rate/VBR) : HQ:Approx.16Mbps/SSLOW:Approx.24Mbps/SLOW:Approx.12Mbps/STD:Approx.6Mbps/VGA:Approx.3Mbps"

If I am reading things correctly then 24 MBps for SSLOW looks ok but the other bit rates don't impress.

Matt Sharp August 30th, 2012 05:08 PM

Sharp eye mark. That's disappointing.

Ron Evans August 31st, 2012 08:40 AM

Sony often get the specs wrong on the site. The 1280x720 is quoted as 30P but in brackets three speeds ? From other sources it is 60 and 120 too. 1920x1080 at 30P is about right for 17Mbps and 1280x720 would be fine at 24Mbps for the higher frame rates too. They are just not fully relating frame rates and recording bit rates. Maybe we will get the real information soon.

Ron Evans

Duane Steiner August 31st, 2012 06:43 PM

I pre-ordered one so looking forward to trying it out.

Annen James September 6th, 2012 05:38 PM

I've tested it side by side with the GoPro Hero 2 and it doesn't hold up. It's softer, with slightly better in-camera color. I would stick with GoPro for sure.

Lynne Whelden September 6th, 2012 05:59 PM

How were you able to test it since it's not officially released?
Are you judging by eye or using other criteria?

Annen James September 8th, 2012 04:25 PM

I had the privilege of using a beta version. Judged by my eye. Just finished DP'ing a Nat Geo show.

Ron Evans September 8th, 2012 04:42 PM

Were the condition light or dark, image stabilizer on or off ( can it be turned on and off ?), 1920x1080 30P, 1280x720 60P or 120P.

Ron Evans

Annen James September 8th, 2012 05:23 PM

Full sun, 1080/30p.

Lynne Whelden September 9th, 2012 05:28 PM

Well, I'll take comfort in knowing that was a beta version. Hard to imagine how GP's image could be better.

Ron Evans September 9th, 2012 09:22 PM

I too will wait and see. The interest for me is the image stabilizer. With my ContourHD I always need to stabilizer video after I have shot skiing. This always makes the video soft as it has to rescale. Not having to stabilize as much in post may make the image good for my use. The image stabilizer and WiFi control at the cost makes the Sony very attractive as the same solution for either the Hero 2 or ContourHD + is a lot more expensive.

Ron Evans

Lynne Whelden September 10th, 2012 01:33 PM

Annen...did you by any chance use the Sony with its steadyshot circuitry on? That would cause a softer picture.

What I'm really looking forward to is the camcorder adapter that is due in November. I wonder what other controls will be gained. Exposure? Audio? I can't find any information on this adapter nor any pictures. Hopefully it will be just as light as the camera itself.

Duane Steiner September 10th, 2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynne Whelden (Post 1752560)
Annen...did you by any chance use the Sony with its steadyshot circuitry on? That would cause a softer picture.

What I'm really looking forward to is the camcorder adapter that is due in November. I wonder what other controls will be gained. Exposure? Audio? I can't find any information on this adapter nor any pictures. Hopefully it will be just as light as the camera itself.

What have you heard about this camcorder adapter? What I am wonder is how one uses the external mic input and then mount the camera? It seems like the only way to mount it to a tripod is with the plastic case and I don't see a way to use an external mic with it.