DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Micro / POV Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/)
-   -   Sneak Peek at Sony POV (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/508891-sneak-peek-sony-pov.html)

Mark Rosenzweig September 22nd, 2012 02:33 PM

Re: Sneak Peek at Sony POV

Here are three things I have learned so far:

1. The camera puts out a clean HDMI signal as 108060i (really 30p). You could attach a Nanoflash or Ninja and record high-bitrate video from the camera bypassing its high compression.

2. Stabilization (all digital) seems to really lower resolution and increase video noise. Relatedly, the 170 viewing anlgle seems to have less video noise and higher resolution. The 120 angle just crops the sensor, as does the digital stabilization, magnifying the noise.

3. The included camera battery (BX1) can be charged in the old Sony BT-TRN charger.

Don Litten September 22nd, 2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody Sanford (Post 1754676)

Thanks for the video's Woody. A couple of comments.

First....you're my kind of people. I thought I was the only one that videoed my crossbow shots.

Second...All the shots look better than any of my HD2's. It's cleaner video and the lowlight and especially, WB look better.

Now I'm really looking forward to Wednesday.

A little OT, I heard a completely unsubstantiated rumor that GoPro was going to announce the GP3 on 11/2.

That doesn't look good for their Protune firmware release if true.

Woody Sanford September 22nd, 2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Litten (Post 1754748)
Thanks for the video's Woody. A couple of comments.

First....you're my kind of people. I thought I was the only one that videoed my crossbow shots.

Second...All the shots look better than any of my HD2's. It's cleaner video and the lowlight and especially, WB look better.

Now I'm really looking forward to Wednesday.

A little OT, I heard a completely unsubstantiated rumor that GoPro was going to announce the GP3 on 11/2.

That doesn't look good for their Protune firmware release if true.

The only thing better than making arrows fly is filming them. :-)

I know a lot of people are comparing this camera to the GoPro HD2 and that may seem logical to a consumer perspective but that initial customer feed back can be a huge event in the evolution of a product. I wouldn't look to compare them just yet. I'm sure there will be a firmware evolution here and if it adds some gain control and possibly exposure or WB that would be a game changer for sure.

The way a lot of people judge the GoPro isn't really realistic. Its a POV camera not the "A" camera. If you can do some "Post production" you can already get a lot out of these. I really wouldn't want to see a competition between the two towards an "A" camera outcome as that would be toward the look of a finished product rather than what data/information it collects. I really think the HDR-AS10/15 is fine the way it is. If we had some means of control with a manual gain and exposure to lock it, even if we can't adjust while filming, that would be an asset. I'm also sure there will be someone making a new front for the housing, complete with filters and such.

I'm very happy with it. The more I work with it the happier I get with it. It will help me add some creative "B" roll that can add some production value once I learn what it needs from me to get that quality of picture but I'm not looking to turn it into a "A" cam. But I'm sure you know what its going to turn into shortly on the net, good thing we'll have hunting season to occupy us an avoid it. :-)

James Harring September 22nd, 2012 08:26 PM

I just got mine from Sony Store today. Quick look and I'm thinking this is a keeper.No thorough enough test to judge video quality, but here's some non-video observations:

+ Charge via micro USB or buy optional wall charger. Uses G and X batts.
++ WiFi works with it sealed up in waterproof housing, so you can see using your phone ~@15 frame/sec. i I feel its sufficient to determine if I'll get the shot. GoPro I think requires housing to be opened up to get this capability. So Sony is better in wet environment, assuming you can keep your phone dry (ziplock bag helps here).
+++ WiFi allows start/stop record remote control, change from 120 to 170 degree angle, some frame rate adjustments and still vs video modes. If you are sticking this on an airplane wing or similar inaccessible place this is killer feature.
+Cheaper than similar Gopro kit, Wifi enabled Sony is only $269.
+Micro SD, Class 4 needed.

-Camera gets warm in it's waterproof (to 60m/200ft) housing. Nothing to get too worked up about.
-GoPro chest mount is pretty handy, not sure how to duplicate here. I can see times where chest mount would be preferable to head mount.
-I had to disconnect Android from home WiFi to get reliable connection tpo phone. Guessing only one is allowed. No issues outside home, away from home AP. Not Sony's fault.

Nice attention to detail on Sony. example, waterproof housing has flat bottom, so it sits on flat surface.

Mark OConnell September 22nd, 2012 08:43 PM

Wow! This is looking good. Thanks Woody for the clips. The low light is much cleaner then I would've expected. And being able to frame shots on a phone is going to be a HUGE advantage.

Woody Sanford September 22nd, 2012 08:58 PM

My pleasure Mark, I don't usually get to be the guy providing info. Usually I'm one of the guys just surfing around absorbing it. I'm happy to repay all you guys anytime I can.

Woody Sanford September 22nd, 2012 11:15 PM

One more video of the camera under vibration distress.

While I was on the Tar Res. I did run a creek channel back to the boat launch. I've run other cameras that were toast due to "Skew" and "Wobble" rolling shutter effects on the same mount. My boat has a four stroke Yamaha F60 and is real quiet, so you can pick up a lot from inside the closed housing. The loudest noise you hear is from the camera vibrating inside the housing, so if you are looking to use it in a situation such as this, I would pad it with something thin like moleskin. I'm surprised the vibration didn't mess up the picture, it sure sounded horrible.

Sony HDR AS15 Vibration - YouTube

Lynne Whelden September 23rd, 2012 06:25 AM

Impressive SteadyShot on Woody's youtube post...but I notice the lawn grass detail has been lost in a blur of major compression artifacts. And this is using the 170 degree, cleanest video.

Steady Shot on HDR AS15 - YouTube

Woody Sanford September 23rd, 2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynne Whelden (Post 1754792)
Impressive SteadyShot on Woody's youtube post...but I notice the lawn grass detail has been lost in a blur of major compression artifacts. And this is using the 170 degree, cleanest video.

Steady Shot on HDR AS15 - YouTube

You can only use 120 degree while the steady shot is activated.

Lynne Whelden September 23rd, 2012 07:35 AM

I assumed 170 because the fish-eye distortion was so pronounced...the roof of the house in the background was bending.
So I guess the video's being hit with a "double whammy"...digital noise introduced by the SS along with noise from enlarging the frame? Thus explaining the grass falling apart?

But as Woody said, maybe I just have to accept the fact that this is the "POV look." It ain't gonna get any better.

Mark Rosenzweig September 23rd, 2012 09:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The Youtube videos are doubly compressed - by the maker of the videos in an editor and by Youtube. Here are originals from the camera:

1. An original jpeg taken from the interval recording mode.

2. A frame grab taken from the original 170-video on a relatively dark afternoon. This is the worst case, as the scene is highly detailed - even 108060p camcorders do not do that well, but they do better.

This is the best you get from cloudy end of day.

Woody Sanford September 23rd, 2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynne Whelden (Post 1754805)

But as Woody said, maybe I just have to accept the fact that this is the "POV look." It ain't gonna get any better.

I'm sure adding another "0" to the price would change that but then my wife wouldn't let me be so lucky to be out running around with this thing. :-)

Duane Steiner September 23rd, 2012 09:35 PM

Didn't go on the drive today that I was planning on, but did a little video on the way to lunch.

Some slow motion of hummingbirds.

Mark Rosenzweig September 24th, 2012 07:23 AM

I am enjoying the time-lapse feature. Here are two time-lapse scenes: one at an airport terminal and the other at Trafalgar Square, London in pouring rain (that waterproof case came in handy). In the square I did did not quite set the camera straight, but you can see what the camera can do. The video I made is the full 1080p, so select that:

Sony HDR AS15 Action Cam Time Lapse Test Video: Airport Terminal and Trafalgar Square - YouTube

Don Litten September 24th, 2012 09:50 AM

Very nice Mark!
How long between shots?