DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Micro / POV Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/)
-   -   Sneak Peek at Sony POV (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/508891-sneak-peek-sony-pov.html)

Mark Rosenzweig September 29th, 2012 12:53 PM

Shooting with the AS15 at high bitrates

The Sony HDR AS15 puts out a clean HDMI signal including the sound from the microphone, which means you can record externally. I recorded with the Atomos Ninja2 using *144Mbps* Pro Res. The camera was recording at its native MP4 at *16Mbps*. Both recorded at 108030p. The uploaded file that contains both types of recordings (two scenes) is MP4 108030p at bitrate 26Mbps (combined in Vegas Pro). Thus you can see if there is a quality change if the bitrate were higher than what the camera uses. The internally recorded clip precedes the (original) Pro Res clip for each scene. See any difference?

Sony HDR AS15 Test Video: Comparison of Native 16Mbps Files with 144Mbps Pro Res Files - YouTube

Duane Steiner September 30th, 2012 03:51 PM

Re: Sneak Peek at Sony POV

Tested it out today on my car. Does not like heat. Was around 95 here and it keep shutting off. Sony needs a more open case for it.

Lynne Whelden September 30th, 2012 04:02 PM

I wondered about the heat/sun factor. Maybe just painting it white would be an improvement?

Mark OConnell September 30th, 2012 04:30 PM

Anyone know what the range is for the wifi?

Duane Steiner September 30th, 2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark OConnell (Post 1756075)
Anyone know what the range is for the wifi?

I walked away about 15 feet and it worked. Also worked inside the car when mounted on the back.

Duane Steiner September 30th, 2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynne Whelden (Post 1756070)
I wondered about the heat/sun factor. Maybe just painting it white would be an improvement?

I might buy another case on drill it out.

Mark OConnell September 30th, 2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duane Steiner (Post 1756078)
I walked away about 15 feet and it worked. Also worked inside the car when mounted on the back.

Thanks Duane.

Don Litten September 30th, 2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duane Steiner (Post 1756078)

I used it at 50 feet yesterday.

Yes, the case is a problem and fogging is a problem and I had fits playing with the slo mo mode. It is not a P&S camera IMO.
It also has a lot of potential I think.

Duane Steiner September 30th, 2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynne Whelden (Post 1756070)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Litten (Post 1756106)
I used it at 50 feet yesterday.

Yes, the case is a problem and fogging is a problem and I had fits playing with the slo mo mode. It is not a P&S camera IMO.
It also has a lot of potential I think.

That is one thing I like about my Contour, the rotating lens and mount makes it really easy to find a good position and no need for a case.

Woody Sanford October 1st, 2012 09:17 AM

I haven't had an issue with fogging yet. I also haven't had heat shut it down yet but I did notice enough heat while shooting some time lapse's that I built a mount that let it be exposed for that.

DIY Open Mount for Sony HDR-AS15 Action Camera - YouTube

So far I've been a little over 20 yards from mine and still been able to run it with the phone but then I've also had interference at less than 5 feet from my blu-tooth ear piece.

Duane Steiner October 1st, 2012 11:08 AM

Some slow motion tests.

Mounted on my car

My friend also did some with his

Laurence Janus October 3rd, 2012 10:38 PM

Thanks a lot for those videos Duane. Those sort of shots are what I want one for.
I just had a look at the Action Cam at my local Sony Store and it looks pretty nice but it is a little disappointing that you always need the case! I will definitely be giving my drill a workout if I get one.

Don Litten October 4th, 2012 06:49 AM

Look at Woody's posts Laurence. He came up with a cheap and very usable (I made one) out of case mount.
My only concern about using it out of the case is that on many POV lenses (Especially GoPro) the coating on the lens is extremely soft and easily damaged.

They just don't go to the extra expense of using hard coatings because it's supposed to be used in the case.

Woody Sanford October 4th, 2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Litten (Post 1756666)
Look at Woody's posts Laurence. He came up with a cheap and very usable (I made one) out of case mount.
My only concern about using it out of the case is that on many POV lenses (Especially GoPro) the coating on the lens is extremely soft and easily damaged.

They just don't go to the extra expense of using hard coatings because it's supposed to be used in the case.

Thanks for mentioning that. I did not consider that. I have been using it in the DIY mount quite a bit. I shot another cloud time lapse yesterday and let it run for an hour. Man, it got hot. It didn't shut down but I could not make a fist around it. It was as hot as coffee out of the pot. I shot using the DIY open mount and am glad I didn't try it in the full housing. I would NOT recommend shooting an hour long time lapse in the full housing.

I had originally thought that the heat issue was something internal that would just cause a card not to write or something small like that but this thing can get crazy hot.

cloud time lapse shot for an hour on Sony HDR-AS15 - YouTube

Brent Kaplan October 4th, 2012 11:53 AM

How do you charge the battery in the camera ?