Sneak Peek at Sony POV - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old October 8th, 2012, 09:17 AM   #121
Major Player

Re: Sneak Peek at Sony POV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Litten View Post
I tried out the headband this weekend while Deer hunting. It hugs my head better than the GoPro and the stabilization in the camera works like a charm.

I'm starting to like this better all the time but the blue channel still sucks with a big S. Hopefully they can and will fix that in a firmware upgrade.
Don, what do you mean by the blue channel? Is it a color balance issue that's the problem?
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 10:24 AM   #122
Regular Crew

Did some more testing. Using 720 120fps in the case camera shut down even with the door open (was on tripod in sun 80 degree day).

1080 30fps mode with IS on in car camera did fine. I wish Sony would add a flip feature to it like the GoPro. Attached is a photo of how I have to mount it in the car.

IS video test
Attached Thumbnails
Sneak Peek at Sony POV-sonycarmount.jpg  
Old October 8th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #123
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick R. Grier View Post
I just bought the HDR-AS15 - Sony Action Camera
Put it on my helmet and went down a woodlands trail.
Edited the file with Adobe Premiere Elements 10 onto an AVCHD DVD
I was horrified by the artifacts, huge blotches popping into view down the trail ahead of me.
The footage was pleasant if I did not move down the trail.
To much detail for a little camera too handle?
Looking at the footage off the camera, (hdmi to TV) what I call artifacts is also present, in lesser degree.
I of course cannot find any 'salesmen' that have the slightest clue.
Is there any POV camera that does well on a helmet going down a single track bicycle trail?
I want to see leaves, not crawling porridge.
also use the POV.HD it has less artifacts, but enough to keep me looking
I guess I will try the Go Pro Hero 2 again, perhaps the protune will help?
Patrick...do you think the Sony's bit rate can handle "bland" or "plain" backgrounds like streets and ocean waves but when it comes to finely detailed BGs like fallen leaves and ferns and sticks, that's when the pixelation begins? Too much detail equals blotchy???
That would not be good.
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 01:04 PM   #124
Trustee

If the video posted above (Sony Action Cam in-car test) is a fair representation of what the camera produces, and was not recompressed twice or something, the resolution is abysmal: everything is blotchy (watching at 720p).

Sony Action Cam HDR-AS15 in car test - YouTube

This is horrible.

However, I have seen videos from the same camera on Youtube that were much crisper.

Like this one (also 120fps, including riding on a motorcycle not just viewing them):

http://youtu.be/sAQDVAtAiik?hd=1

I wonder if it is the digital stabilization *and* the sensor cropping (120 versus 170) that is making the videos look particularly bad, while 108030p without stabilization at 170 (16Mbps) is relatively ok. Or maybe the poor-resolution video video was processed to death out of the camera.

Last edited by Mark Rosenzweig; October 8th, 2012 at 01:49 PM.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #125
Regular Crew

Ok, what is the best way to test the Sony POV. I have 3 other POV's to compare to: ContourHD, GoProHD, SwannHD. Also could compare to my other cameras but he angle of view would not be close. Suggestions?
Old October 8th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #126
Inner Circle

Duane,

Set up all three on the same mounted surface that you can move around.
Do fast action by the camera.
Camera on the fast action.
Timelaps
Move from dark to light and back to dark.
Put under water in tough conditions.

That should be a good start.

Then show on a split screen and individual screened shots.
Old October 8th, 2012, 01:51 PM   #127
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
Duane,

Set up all three on the same mounted surface that you can move around.
Do fast action by the camera.
Camera on the fast action.
Timelaps
Move from dark to light and back to dark.
Put under water in tough conditions.

That should be a good start.

Then show on a split screen and individual screened shots.
You also need to specify the settings: stabilization on or off? view is 170 or 120? resolution is 1080 or 720? slo mo or not?
Old October 8th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #128
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig View Post
If the video posted above (Sony Action Cam in-car test) is a fair representation of what the camera produces, and was not recompressed twice or something, the resolution is abysmal: everything is blotchy (watching at 720p).

Sony Action Cam HDR-AS15 in car test - YouTube

This is horrible.

However, I have seen videos from the same camera on Youtube that were much crisper.

Like this one (also 120fps, including riding on a motorcycle not just viewing them):

Sony Action Cam HDR-AS15 120fps - YouTube

I wonder if it is the digital stabilization *and* the sensor cropping (120 versus 170) that is making the videos look particularly bad, while 108030p without stabilization at 170 (16Mbps) is relatively ok. Or maybe the poor-resolution video video was processed to death out of the camera.
Mark, down res'ing from 1080 to 720 does not cause video to be "blotchy". Resolution size is not the only factor in determining quality for upload to youtube. It doesn't matter if you export 1080 or 720 from a timeline, you are still processing it, you will see much more effect from bitrates and other compression settings. No matter how you export for youtube, you are going to be dealing with compression, making it 1080 isn't a cure all.
Woody Sanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #129
Trustee

"Mark, down res'ing from 1080 to 720 does not cause video to be "blotchy". Resolution size is not the only factor in determining quality for upload to youtube. It doesn't matter if you export 1080 or 720 from a timeline, you are still processing it, you will see much more effect from bitrates and other compression settings. No matter how you export for youtube, you are going to be dealing with compression, making it 1080 isn't a cure all."

You are confusing what I said to you (when you downrezzed from *in-camera* 1080 to 720 to upload) with what I said here, which is about the camera. In the camera (as you know) there is a fixed relationship between bitrate and resolution. 720 30 fps is 6Mbps; 1080 30fps is 16Mbps so increasing to 1080 also increases the bitrate in this case. In addition, the *digital* (not optical) stabilization reduces resolution *and* crops the sensor (170 to 120). I suspect (given my experience with the camera and what I know about the physics here) that both of these digital tricks are what is reducing resolution for given bitrate and pixels.

Also, people seem to recompress their videos from the camera at low bitrates before uploading - that in itself lowers resolution. That awful blotchy video I referred to could be caused by any of these factors; the in-camera 720 choice is not one I mentioned as it is required for slo-mo anyway and I cited a good-looking 720-origin slo-mo video.
Old October 8th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #130
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne Whelden View Post
Don, what do you mean by the blue channel? Is it a color balance issue that's the problem?
The blues are way over saturated Lynn. Looking at the light flares in my last ride through the woods, some are actually purple.

I haven't tried to fix it in post yet but it will be difficult to completely get rid of it.
Don Litten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #131
Regular Crew

My mistake then but I would consider the source of the "Blotchyness" in that video to be more so related to the effects of the sun and the windshield.
Old October 8th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #132
Trustee

Yes, I agree, the windshield also may be doing it.
Old October 8th, 2012, 07:35 PM   #133
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody Sanford View Post
My mistake then but I would consider the source of the "Blotchyness" in that video to be more so related to the effects of the sun and the windshield.
It was a bad time of day on that road with the sun where it was. When I have time I'll be doing more testing in better conditions.
Old October 8th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #134
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Steiner View Post
It was a bad time of day on that road with the sun where it was. When I have time I'll be doing more testing in better conditions.
Filming yourself driving down the road I wouldn't expect you to have much control over the sun. I just got my suction cup mount this weekend and will be driving around with it tomorrow. It sure seems pretty stoutly built. It might be more of a help to you cause I'll guarantee you drive faster than I do in my 2010 Tacoma but I'll top out 3rd gear for you tomorrow so it at least sounds cool for ya. :-)
Old October 8th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #135
Regular Crew

My friend just posted this.

Sony Action Cam mounted on a Honda CBR600. The audio is from a Sony pcm-m10 digital recorder mounted on the handlebars. The POV cam audio wasn't too bad but there was buzzing I think from loose fit case. Put some felt in for future tests. The majority is 1080p 30fps with stabilizer on, near the end a car blocked the road so I spliced in unstabilized 720p 120fps 4x for normal speed w audio from the mounted Sony pcm-m10.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems