DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Micro / POV Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/)
-   -   Sneak Peek at Sony POV (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/508891-sneak-peek-sony-pov.html)

Michael Bray June 28th, 2012 06:54 PM

Sneak Peek at Sony POV

Looks like Sony is getting into the POV market. Their not currently disclosing much in the way of details at this point but it looks as though it will use Sony’s SteadyShot image stabilization, Exmor R CMOS image sensor, and have an ultra-wide angle Carl Zeiss Tessar lens. The following links provide a little bit more information as well as pictures. Looks pretty interesting.

FIRST LOOK: Sony’s new action camera SONY make.believe

Sony's Action Cam prototype is incredibly small, we go fingers-on at CE Week in NYC -- Engadget

Jim Cancil July 4th, 2012 02:32 PM

Re: Sneak Peek at Sony POV

Of the two (the JVC and this).. I'd probably trust Sony first. But I have more than a sneaky feeling that many of their hoped-for markets are already well saturated.

Jim

Matt Sharp July 4th, 2012 03:40 PM

1080p60 for $300 or less and I'm buying one (although I notice it doesn't say AVCHD on it, probably records MP4 files at 1440x1080 in 30P). I already have a bunch of GoPros but maybe the Sony will be able to get usable audio.

Ron Evans July 4th, 2012 08:04 PM

Having Steadyshot will be an improvement over my ContourHD would be nice if it had remote control though. Will wait and see when the real specs appear.

Ron Evans

Matt Sharp August 29th, 2012 04:54 PM

Beats the GoPro in price at $200. Sony HD Action Camcorder | Action Cam | HDR-AS10/B | Sony USA

Bummer they removed the tripod mount from the camera body that the concept version had. Waiting to see actual footage though.

Lynne Whelden August 29th, 2012 06:04 PM

My opinion matters not in the least...but I like the ergonomics of the GoPro (flatter, boxier) than elongated shapes such as this.
Good for them for adding an external mic input!

Ron Evans August 29th, 2012 07:43 PM

Looks like the record frame rate is only 30P too so no smooth action shots. Maybe Sony will have an upgraded model with 60P etc !!!

Ron Evans

Ron Evans August 29th, 2012 07:51 PM

Reading the full set of info now it looks like it does have 1280x720 at 60P. That's OK even if 1920x1080 60P would have been nice. The more I look at it seems like it may be a lot better than my ContourHD.

Ron Evans

Bernd Eller August 30th, 2012 03:25 AM

Too bad it's 30p/60p only even in Europe, where 25p/50p is needed. Hard to believe that Sony made such a mistake. Without European formats, the HDR-AS15 is no option for me.

Kin Lau August 30th, 2012 06:39 AM

The 720/120p feature is what I'm excited about, that with the wifi ability means I can do some interesting things with this as a bird cam at feeders/perches etc.

Ron Evans August 30th, 2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kin Lau (Post 1750624)
The 720/120p feature is what I'm excited about, that with the wifi ability means I can do some interesting things with this as a bird cam at feeders/perches etc.

Where did you see any WiFi interface? It would be very good if it did have WiFi.
Ron Evans

Buba Kastorski August 30th, 2012 09:34 AM

my understanding was that WiFi is for the file transfer only, but i bought one anyways, 120fps @ 24Mbps - sweeeet!
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/887139-REG/Sony_hdras15_b_HDR_AS15_HD_Action_Camcorder.html

Ron Evans August 30th, 2012 09:46 AM

Let us know what you think of it when you have had time to play.

Ron Evans

Matt Sharp August 30th, 2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski (Post 1750647)
my understanding was that WiFi is for the file transfer only,

At about 1:30 into Engadget's hands on you can see them using a phone as a viewfinder. They mention being able to change settings also.

Sony's tiny ruggedized Action Cam gets official with 16MP Exmor R, WiFi, $199+ price tag (hands-on) -- Engadget

Buba Kastorski August 30th, 2012 12:43 PM

wow even better!
but i still have to wait till the end of September :(