Anyone having issues with Firmware 8.1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old July 10th, 2012, 06:37 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Anyone having issues with Firmware 8.1

Hi Guys

Has anyone had any issues upgrading the Hero2 firmware to version 8.1 ??? I'm running Win7 (64bit) and doing it via Cineform and as instructed disabled my UAC, antiviris and firmware!!!

Mine still cames up with a failed message

Any bright ideas???

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Anyone having issues with Firmware 8.1

Don't use USB3 connection and try another PC. If that don't work here is the SD card alternative.

This is a alternative way to update your HD2 with the latest firmware without having to install Cineform Studio. This is for users who have other Cineform products installed like NeoScene/NeoHD/Neo3D so cannot install GoPro Cineform Studio without disabling the other software. Also for Lynx and other OP SYS that don't accept Cineform Studio.

READ CAREFULLY - This procedure was compiled by me, it's use is at your own risk.
Download bin file from here -
http://software.gopro.com/Firmware/HD2/HD2-firmware.bin
THIS IS FOR HD2 ONLY

1. Ensure you have a fully charged battery.
2. Format the SD card in your HD2 Gopro using DELETE ALL function and then remove.
3. Using a CARD READER,transfer the HD2-Firmware.BIN file to the root section of your SD card with a card reader (NOT inside DCIM or MISC folder)
4. Place the SD card into your GoProHD2 (do not have your Gopro plugged in to anything, not even LCD Bac Pac or Battery BacPac and PC/Mac)
5. Press and continue to hold down the SHUTTER button while pressing the POWER button to turn the camera on, video camera ICON will show at front LCD, release power button continue to hold shutter button.
6. Press 1 will appear at front small LCD display, press Power again, Press 2 will appear, press power again. Camera will load the FW while showing the icon of a camera.... and red LED will blink for some seconds, then it's finished. You can now release the shutter button.
7. Delete HD2-Firmware.BIN from the memory card and camera will be ready for use.
Ian Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 11:38 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Ian

Worked perfectly!!! Far easier too than messing around with Cineform!!

While I have your attention my mate George in the UK says he has an issue with live video out?? The picture is scrambled ???? Any bright ideas on that one??

Thanks again

Chris
Old July 11th, 2012, 02:22 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Chris you've pre-empted my jump over to here. I'm going to follow the above an see if there is any difference, although it might see it as already up to date.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 02:45 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi George

No problem..if anyone knows Ian will know!!

Forgot to ask..asre you using the 4 section 2.5mm jack plug or HDMI cable???

Chris
Old July 11th, 2012, 03:13 AM   #6
Major Player

Glad it was of some help.

If you want to know what FW version is installed in the camera, do an in camera format ( Delete ALL) and then check the card contents. There will be a txt file on there, open it and the FW version will be listed.
Ian Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 03:37 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi George

No problem..if anyone knows Ian will know!!

Forgot to ask..asre you using the 4 section 2.5mm jack plug or HDMI cable???

Chris
Chris it's a standard 2.5mm mini jack to three phone (RCA) YWR plugs using yellow for video. I've ordered a GoPro one, though it looks identical to the one I've got, they may connect them in a different way.

This is the .txt file:
firmware version":"HD2.08.12.124.WIFI.R33.00","camera type":"HD2"

I think that's the update.
Old July 11th, 2012, 05:12 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi George

That sounds like a standard 2.5mm video cable..GoPro use a 4 segment 2.5mm plug (yours might be the same) but :
For the GoPro, the first segment (closest to the cover) is ground, the next segment is "video out" the remaining two segments are audio left and audio right. I just use a standard piece of screen cable and solder the screen to segment 1 and the cable within to segment two...the other end goes to an RCA plug on my 7" monitor (it's only a cheapie low res one!!)

Chris
Old July 11th, 2012, 09:48 AM   #9
Major Player

That's just what I want to do Chris. I did look at getting a HD monitor with a HDMI input but I've a few 7" SD monitors and I only need it for framing I'll take it away as soon as the camera is positioned. I think you do what i want to do, stick it high on a light stand about 8-10 ft (I've a feeling you go higher) in the air so the LCD screen on the back would be of no use. As far as I can ascertain the WiFi back is not yet giving a video stream only remote control.
Last week as you know I was disappointed with the angle I had set the camera, maybe with a bit of practice I'll be able to judge the angle 'blind' as it were.

It's very frustrating as it seems that everyone else who had the scrambled video cured it with the update.

I've ordered the cable now (£20 *****) so I'll wait and see if that fixes it when it comes.
Old July 24th, 2012, 12:48 PM   #10
Major Player

Just wanted to add my grateful thanks and unbounded appreciation to Ian and his detailed advice about this issue!

Like Chris, I was having the most gosh darned (edited for content) time updating to the latest firmware...and all I wanted was to be able to use the LCD Bacpac :)

Ahhh, now I can use my brand new camera...wait, where are the servo zoom controls!?!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems