GoPro HD3 October ??? - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old November 6th, 2012, 03:14 AM   #91

Re: GoPro HD3 October ???

If it records 4K, then does it have a 4K sensor inside it or not or how does that work?
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #92
Major Player

This may already have been discussed but I found out GoPro's not currently offering a skeleton housing for the Hero 3. (They suggest I use the "Frame.") Meanwhile, a reseller is trying to create customized skeletal housing by drilling in the waterproof housing. Unfortunately they're discovering that ribbing inside the case that's positioned about where the mic holes are, when drilled through, allows the camera to shake when put inside the modified case.
Odd that GP wouldn't offer the correct case, especially now that they've improved the audio and created two separate mic pick-up ports.
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 04:59 PM   #93
Major Player

That's unfortunate. The skeleton is my default housing, both for audio and anti fog.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #94
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne Whelden View Post
...GoPro's not currently offering a skeleton housing for the Hero 3. (They suggest I use the "Frame.")...
I just picked up a couple Blacks and they do come with the skeleton back, just as the user manual indicates. It isn't a whole separate housing, but a replaceable hinge-back, functionally similar to the previous version of the GoPro housing for the HeroHD and the HD2.

The only advantages I can think of at this time to drop an extra $40 for "The Frame" are that it gives you access to the USB port (and external mic use if you have a USB-to-3.5mm mic adaptor, $20 through GoPro) and if you want that last smidgeon of image quality by not having the housing lens in front of your camera's glass lens. They've also got USB to composite adaptor cables for another $40.

I don't know where the internal mic of the GoPro is located, so no idea yet if The Frame allows for better sound than the housing with skeleton back. Probably not money well spent on my part, but I did pick up The Frame when I bought my Blacks. Haven't tried any of it out yet on a real shoot, so that report will have to come later.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems