GoPro HD3 October ??? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old October 17th, 2012, 02:31 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: GoPro HD3 October ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Sensui View Post
The footage from this camera on YouTube is just incredible.

The GoPro Hero 2 with Cineform is really nice. The Hero 3 is just amazing. The underwater footage has great color and terrific dynamic range.

I worked with three other POV cameras. None come close to this. Wow.
Yep, they reestablished their role of King of POV in a big way. Now all that remains is the HD3 has to live up to the specs and perform. Thousands of Pros are Tweeting about it on Twitter, so they have made a big impact on the Pro/semi Pro crowd.
Ian Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 03:22 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Bitching about sound quality while jumping out of a plane, with a camera (and mic) concealed in a water proof housing, doesn't make any sense to me.
No audio gear, at any price point would do much better.

For what it is and what it costs, it has actually amazing audio qualities.
Put a Senheiser or Sanken $1000 mic in a Tupperware box, throw it of a cliff into the sea and see what you get.

You guys are spoiled.

Frank
Frank Glencairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 03:45 AM   #33
Inner Circle

I often shoot double-system sound. It's not easy, there are the ever-present risks involved and, as Lynne said, there's the difficulty of syncing audio with picture in post.

I can definitely see the need for decent sound to come from a camera like this. There might not be an opportunity to get audio otherwise. And having decent audio can help with post-production sync via programs like PluralEyes.

All that said, the problem I run into is having the mounted camera pick up low-frequency vibrations in the hull that originate from the engine, and driving recording levels so low that very little is audible anyway.

It might be OK in a kayak or other situations. But due to the lack of vibration isolation, I don't think dependable, high-quaity audio can be ensured under all conditions.
Old October 17th, 2012, 04:26 AM   #34
Major Player

I don't know what you guys edit in but in Sony Vegas Pro, i just throw a video with captured sound on the timeline, expand the timelines vertically so the wave forms are huge, then directly under i place the Zoom H1 or H4n recording and just sync visually to a spike. It takes no time at all and is perfect even with multiple stop starts on the secondary recorder. Much quicker and more accurate than PluralEyes, which i don't use anymore.
Ian Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 04:43 AM   #35
Inner Circle

That's a great idea, Ian.

But I have dozens, if not a few hundred, clips to sync. I feed the audio from the recorder to the camera via a 2.4 GHz wireless link. There's an on-camera mic to provide additional audio.

At least with the GoPro footage there's not nearly as many clips as the main camera. So your idea might work... except the audio gets messed up due to the noise. So for those instances I rely upon the action to sort out clips and get the sync right.
Old October 17th, 2012, 07:45 AM   #36
Regular Crew

I hope you guys don’t mind me asking, but is that 15fps of 4k actually going to be usable for projects that you all work on? I’m impressed they got a usable 2k out of that tiny thing – for what little I know about these things.

Otherwise, I’ll certainly keep my eye on any price drops on these – amazing how much of an improvement in just one year! I’ll be happy with my Hero 2 1080p for the time being though.
Jason Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 08:01 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Schlogel View Post
'Has anyone been able to purchase? Waited for the countdown where it said you would be able to but none of the new stuff's "Add to Cart" buttons don't seem to work on any of them. - Rag
they must be taking lots and lots of orders this morning... I had to use three different computers this morning to get the stuff into the checkout box... goter done tho... now the wait...

The white balance and dynamic range are perfect...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 08:27 AM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Sensui View Post
I would like a real-time monitor that would allow me to see what the camera sees at the end of a stick.

Preferably the connection would be waterproof enough to be submerged. Looking forward to seeing more about this new addition to GoPro's lineup.
Dean: there is a an aftermarket company on the web (rhymes with rye of fine) that makes a housing for the GoPro2 with a sealed RCA video cable through the housing. They use a 3D double case, and put the wire and connection in the open space left by using only 1 camera.

As soon as the 3d Hero3 housings are out, I'd suspect they'll make an underwater cabled housing for it, too.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 08:32 AM   #39
Inner Circle

My credit card company would not let me order today. After talking to the CC company they said they were protecting me since the traffic on the GoPro site was so high. They thought it was a scam.
Old October 17th, 2012, 10:30 AM   #40
Major Player

This is awesome timing for me. I just have been holding off on a v2 and thankfully now the v3 has dropped!

Does anyone know if the Black Edition has the ability to do the lower bit-rates as well? i would like the option and not be stuck at max for times i don't need it. :) I haven't seen a mention anywhere so this question is a long shot.
Old October 17th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #41
Regular Crew

Just go to the Gopro web site and read the specs ... should answer all your questions...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 01:54 PM   #42
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ward View Post
Dean: there is a an aftermarket company on the web (rhymes with rye of fine) that makes a housing for the GoPro2 with a sealed RCA video cable through the housing. They use a 3D double case, and put the wire and connection in the open space left by using only 1 camera.

As soon as the 3d Hero3 housings are out, I'd suspect they'll make an underwater cabled housing for it, too.
Thanks, Bill!

I'll probably use the Hero 2 as a "gaff cam".

The Hero 3 will be on-deck or elsewhere as the second camera for cutaways.
Old October 17th, 2012, 04:01 PM   #43
Trustee

I'm wondering if the battery back for GP2 is compatible with GP3? I have a ton of various backs, batteries, and an lcd screen. It would be a shame if non of these will work on GP3.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #44
Trustee

Canon, Panasonic and Sony could all learn from the GoPro promo video. They all got "taken to school" on this one. Just downloaded and viewed a higher quality version. Whom ever shot and edited the promo did one heck of a fantastic job.

http://fil.io/fl48NPQwb/gopro_hero3-1920x1080.mp4
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 05:45 PM   #45
Regular Crew

cant wait to get mines :)
Jose Rodrigues is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems