GoPro HD3 October ??? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old October 17th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #46
Major Player

Re: GoPro HD3 October ???

3.5mm Mic Adapter | GoPro Accessories | Professional sound via HERO3

The cable for a stereo mic sure is odd. Must plug into a USB port on the camera. Then you've got a few inches of cabling to deal with. I guess the alternative are those L-shaped jacks from Radio Shack that are a disaster waiting to happen.
Or would that be a mini-HDMI port? Or mini-USB?

Last edited by Lynne Whelden; October 18th, 2012 at 06:19 AM.
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 10:01 PM   #47
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Williams View Post
Canon, Panasonic and Sony could all learn from the GoPro promo video. They all got "taken to school" on this one. Just downloaded and viewed a higher quality version. Whom ever shot and edited the promo did one heck of a fantastic job.

Fil.io — file hosting for SMB
Very impressive video - really high quality, both the footage and the editing. It makes you forget it's POV, and it raises my personal bar for future POV projects.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #48
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Williams View Post
Canon, Panasonic and Sony could all learn from the GoPro promo video. They all got "taken to school" on this one. Just downloaded and viewed a higher quality version. Whom ever shot and edited the promo did one heck of a fantastic job.

Fil.io — file hosting for SMB
The guy that helped shoot this video and actually did ALL the editing posted in the ProTune thread and know one even acknowledged his post even when I pointed out who he was. ABE KISLEVITZ GoPro Head editor. The guy is awesome at his job. Link to his post here. http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/new-micr...ml#post1757910

Last edited by Ian Newland; October 18th, 2012 at 01:33 AM.
Ian Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 12:00 AM   #49
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne Whelden View Post
Implementing better audio isn't asking much. Just give us clean circuits. We can then worry about better mics. Obviously I'm in a minority here.
I'm certainly with you, Lynne. Even the old Canon S95 had much better audio, and in STEREO.

-- peer
Old October 18th, 2012, 12:35 AM   #50
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
I'm wondering if the battery back for GP2 is compatible with GP3? I have a ton of various backs, batteries, and an lcd screen. It would be a shame if non of these will work on GP3.
I'm wondering the same thing; I also have underwater housings and other stuff. I hope at least that the batteries are the same (but I'm guessing they will be much smaller). Well at least the mounts are the same!
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 12:59 AM   #51
Inner Circle

Lynne... I just ordered an underwater housing that has a 25-foot waterproof cable attached to it which will allow me to monitor the camera's video in real time.

This might be of interest to you: They used the 3D camera housing and used it with just one camera. This leaves a lot of room for a connector and cable inside.

The same concept can be applied to an audio connection. The only possible drawback is the camera might have to be installed upside-down (easily compensated), and the housing is slightly larger than a single-camera housing.

Otherwise it'll allow you to connect an external mic while having the housing completely sealed.
Old October 18th, 2012, 04:51 AM   #52
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Newland View Post
The guy that helped shoot this video and actually did ALL the editing posted in the ProTune thread and know one even acknowledged his post even when I pointed out who he was. ABE KISLEVITZ GoPro Head editor. The guy is awesome at his job. Link to his post here. http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/new-micr...ml#post1757910
Can I just say I appreciate what Go Pro has produced...that would include appreciation for Abe's part...
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 05:40 AM   #53
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
I'm wondering the same thing; I also have underwater housings and other stuff. I hope at least that the batteries are the same (but I'm guessing they will be much smaller). Well at least the mounts are the same!
I ordered a couple of the new cameras and it lists a different battery on the website for the H3 vs the H2. Our H2 batteries won't be working in the new camera. :(
Old October 18th, 2012, 08:35 AM   #54
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Garrett View Post
I hope you guys don’t mind me asking, but is that 15fps of 4k actually going to be usable for projects that you all work on? I’m impressed they got a usable 2k out of that tiny thing – for what little I know about these things.

Otherwise, I’ll certainly keep my eye on any price drops on these – amazing how much of an improvement in just one year! I’ll be happy with my Hero 2 1080p for the time being though.
I see a few responses over at DP Review on this topic anyway – seems to be the main topic of critique; GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition goes 4k, while re-bodied Hero 2 gets 'pro' output: Digital Photography Review

I think it’s cool that it can do it, but maybe more of a novelty to qualify as ‘4K’ than anything? The 2K is obviously usable from the specs, but not for anyone but pros I suppose – unless you’ve got the cash to have a home 4/2k entertainment system to watch your $400 Gopro videos on. I’m not even sure what is out there now myself.

I suppose average users are only really going to appreciate the 1080p 60p? Unless there is some means to crop the higher resolutions that average users might utilize? I see debate on how well CS6 can kill the shake from motorcycles discussed elsewhere too – which would be the boat that I’m in as an ‘average user.’

I’m pleased they improved upon it; no doubt. I’m sure it’s superior all-around.
Jason Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 08:42 AM   #55
Inner Circle

I checked the GoPro website this morning and they are now showing November 15 for the shipping date. Looks like the first shipment of cameras have been sold out.
Old October 18th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #56
Major Player

Here's to hoping the Hero 4 will have usable (30fps+) 4K video.

I already have a bunch of HD2s, so I don't want to just ditch my mass of housings and batteries for a mild spec bump and smaller camera.

Digging the frame mount though. GoPro Frame Mount | The smallest, lightest way to mount your HERO3
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #57
Regular Crew

I'm really excited about this, I use my DSLR almost exclusively at home but as a big skier adn paraglider I use my gopro on those applications regularly, plus swimming :)

lower light performance is a biggie for me.
Nick Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 03:12 PM   #58
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Sharp View Post
Here's to hoping the Hero 4 will have usable (30fps+) 4K video.
Don't expect a HD4 anytime soon, this new range of cameras was a huge investment for GoPro, obviously there will be a few FW updates but don't expect HD4 or anything major hardware wise for 2 years.
Old October 18th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #59
Major Player

Condensed comparison chart of all 3 cameras
Attached Thumbnails
GoPro HD3 October ???-image.jpg  
Old October 18th, 2012, 04:45 PM   #60
Wrangler

I don't really need one, but I've been thinking about learning to juggle, and these seem perfect.

I'm in!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems